Friday, January 11, 2013

The Dulling of a Man: Todd Manning- Portrait of a Failure

OMG, I can't believe I'm writing this, but here goes.  Todd Manning sucks. He really does. The only thing left to do with him is turn him off. And I've been doing that for months now. But, I have some time and the inclination to rant a bit, so what the hell.

Goodbye, Todd, you've committed the ultimate sin.  You're boring and average and thoroughly unlikable.

I really do hope that PP does get OLTL up and running at some point. I truly miss that show. I realize that it wasn't single characters that made it great. It was the relationships between the characters that made it great. It was the way there were histories involved and long, complicated stories that could be played out on their faces, even without words. That was what was intriguing, not the characters themselves.

That's what's missing.  Todd Manning, one of my favorite characters of all time, is now a dullard. He's drab and uninteresting and I actively avoid him.  Know why?  He's got no one who knows him, except Starr and John, and there's little to be seen of that.  Good job, Guys, you did it. You made Todd Manning a loser.  Now, leave him on GH with his fat gal pal or ship him home. Really, I don't care. He's as annoying as Carly. Oh, and don't do sex scenes if you need to wear Spanx. It's sad.

I suppose this can be reversed, but I'm skeptical. You see I warned you months ago that GH was a loser as many characters on that show had the "stink of the loser" and that is was catching.  After reading Ms. Wright whining about the great love of Carly and Todd, I see how big a loser these people are in reality.  Deep love? Huh???Since when? Last I heard, he was texting his ex-wife right before he fucked you and you were drooling over your ex. Was that when you two fell in love?  Sorry, Toots, I haven't seen any love at all. Just loneliness and desperation.

And here's what's most sick. I guess Wright's job is in trouble, that's obvious and the rumors are rampant. We all know that Frankie Boy loves his little vixens and the bigger gals of significant age are never safe, but why is this broad pimping a really sick relationship that has denigrated her character in this way? He's used her, manipulated her, hid his obsession for his ex-wife from her, and then she had to bully him into "committing" to her, all this about week since she saw him doing jigs over his ex-wife's marriage not happening. This is a deep love to you, Honey?  I don't think so.

Look, we all have access to call times. We know that Ms. Wright hasn't taped except for once in over a month, granted two weeks were dark. But that leaves two weeks with just about nothing. That's, what, a month of airtime?  Sweetie, you're in trouble. We get that. You go to the mags and start pimping yourself. We  get it that you're going to "force the writers" to write the great love story of Carly and her abuser.  You're really just afraid. I get that. But it makes you look even more pathetic than your pathetic character. It's unseemly, Laura, really unseemly. And if KDP was your friend, it also makes you look like an asshole by trying to throw her pairing under the bus as being old news.

All in all, it makes you look nasty. Not good for you.  Now apologize.

At any rate, Todd's so dull with this story, it's ridiculous. Now I know there are those who just like to see Roger Howarth get naked. That's fine. Good for them. Personally, I don't find him attractive in that way and even if I did, I'd want him to be interesting. This ain't it.

I miss Todd sparring with Nora. I miss Marty's hatred of his face and his mere existence and how they both physically recoil when they are near one another. I miss David's snarkiness with him and callouts to past history. I miss the way Viki looks at him with exasperation and understanding and the way he looks at her with such neediness. I miss the love and longing in his eyes when he sees Blair and the pain that inevitably ensues. I miss the guilt on his face when Tea enters a room. And I even miss his crazyass sparring with his crazyass brother. Now that was a little funny.

Once in a while, I see how he loves his kid. That's nice. I do love how John hates him and it's mutual but underneath, they both seem to love it. But, other than that, I'm getting nothing.  The big gal whines and spits venom about herself and Howarth stands there. Yeah, that's fun....only not. That's what you're fighting for? Well, the ratings are out and again, you're not setting the world on fire, Laura. In fact, you're tanking them.

Look, Frank, you have some good stuff going on this show and I think I'll make almost every GH fan love me for this statement. You need to make this show GH.  Not the Todd Show. You see, they don't want to see the Todd Show. We want to see the Todd Show but we want "our Todd", not Frat Boy #2, Eddie Haskell, Paul Manning, or Roger Fucking Howarth. We want Todd. And, for the 856th time, there is  not Todd without the others.

I read an interesting comment from Nimnuts where he said that Todd in PC doesn't have the rape hanging over his head. That's true, I suppose, but you know what? That's what made him interesting. Without it, he's drab, ordinary, and no one I find even a little compelling. He's a selfish shit with some snarky lines.  Yeah, not drawing me in.

So, bring on PP. Bring on the spectacular Clint and Viki and David and Nora and Bo and Nat and Blair and Dorian and so on and so on.  Leave Todd where he is, bring him back, I don't care. But, I'll tell you one thing- you better wipe this time out of his memory and mine because it sucks.

When's AMC starting? I need to get interesting characters back STAT!!




7 comments:

  1. I totally agree Addison!! When I read that interview with LW saying RH and her pimped that Codd pairing all I could think of was Wow she is as nasty and full of herself as her alter and if RH wants it that way he can stay in PC play someone else give PP Todd back. He hasn't stayed true to his character in fact he has totally ruined it! If I wanted to watch Howarth play any character i would have followed him to ATWT! Someone wake me up when Snarly is kicked in the harbor joining Jason in his waterey grave where they both belong!How dare LW and RH diss the TnB fan base like that! Oh and KDP deserves so much better treatment then she has gotton from Cartini!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit another one out of the ball park. As you so wisely and hilariously quipped before, "Carly's enormous ass eclipses the sun." She also eclipses Todd's darkness and complexity. Someone make this stop before Todd is reduced to Carly's purse holder, or worse yet, before she calls him "my boyfriend" as she did with Johnny. (shudder).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, just watched "Tales From a Life in Film", "Harry Lime". Love me some Welles. And Harry's "cuckoo clock"!!

      Howarth looks so bored, I swear I saw him laugh at her a few times. I know I have. I think PP is stopping it very soon and Nimnuts will lose his "Opus". He ain't no Orson.

      Delete
  3. Carly could turn Harry Lime into Jiminy Cricket.
    (you have more fans than you might know of).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bring on the Borgias and the Renaissance! Thanks, Harry! You can hide in my doorway any day.

      Delete
  4. Heh, and my black cat too. I am just waiting for you to tell someone,"You're too short for that gesture."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Besides, it went out with Mrs. Fiske......

      I am a venomous Fishwife, after all.

      Delete