Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Awful Truth: Why GH Sucks!

Okay, I know that's harsh. And I'm not really a fan of the show but I was back in the day. But, Kids, this show sucks and the numbers keep going down and down and there's no reason for it. Well, there's one reason. One big reason.  The Production Team. Valentini and Company are killing this show- the last of a dying breed. And although I'm not shedding any tears, it's a shame really. Talent, history, and dedicated fans are being cheated out of what time they have left.

Now, I'm not speaking for the fans. I'm just giving an opinion, one many will disagree with, I'm sure. But it's just my opinion. Also, after perusing boards for insight and the enormous response to the "Nimnuts Sucks" piece, I think there's a lot of agreement. So, I'll present that caveat. I'm not speaking for anyone but me. And, it seems, a multitude of others.  But not everyone.

I know that  Valentini gets a lot of credit from many. And he's done some things people like. The corporate bigwigs like his budget cutting techniques. They like his strong arm with the loudmouths and keeping people in line. And they like that he's the lightening rod for their screwups. There are fans who like his show that switched focus and cut the mob crap and brought back Vets. I know that's true and I give him kudos for that. But it's not what he does but how he does it that's the problem.

I feel I can speak about this as I've now seen it happen twice. Sure, he'll bring back Vets you love. But he'll isolate them and use them with newbies or dayplayers for the majority of their time there. Why? They're expensive. He'll bring them on as plot points. Why? Because brief appearances by expensive actors give you the most bang you can get for your buck, in his mind. Not the audience, but in his mind. He can say "Look, it's Frisco!" and you see him for ten minutes and he's gone.

He did this on OLTL. He brought back Cord but I never saw him with Blair or hardly with Clint or Bo. I saw him with Tina, which was great, but not nearly enough. I saw Tina with Todd twice maybe, one group scene, and that's it. He brought back Todd and left him in a damn chair for three weeks. That was fun...only not.

Look, it's nice to get them back. We love that. But you can't have everything. I know it's been a while, but, again, Buddy, listen to the logic of the man on the street who has to hustle for every penny. As my father the siding salesman said, "If you want to make money, you have to spend money. Shit gives you shit".  Get it? If you want the ratings to maintain, you better get out the checkbook. If you don't have the cash, cut elsewhere. Or don't go there. But the momentary, stunt returns are a tease and only build resentment.

Related to that point is the inevitable focus on the newbie. I know, I know. Soaps have to have the new characters to bring in the new audience. I get that. But even in the end? Now, let's get real. Do you really think this show has enough time on ABC to make Sabrina a major player? Really?  Here's some advice from a bad mistake you made before- Baz.  Baz. Enough said.

Cut the losses. You know how to do with as you did with this Trey kid. But you don't do it enough. I've seen nothing but resentment and anger over this broad. Cut her. Backburner her. I don't know what and, really, I don't care. But do something. I fear you're making Alderson into some new character and she'll be the new best friend of Sabrina and it will be the show centering on the two most hated people. That should be nice for the fans. That should go over about as big as Rex and Gigi getting an entire wedding episode and much of the focus when our fucking show was ending in a moment.  Like anyone cared about that but you all. In general, the fans were appalled. You should have left that troll dead. Didn't need her at all. God, I hope FF reads this and gets nuts and goes on one of her tirades. I miss them. It was the only good thing about her. I hope she shows and gives me the finger and tells me to fuck myself. That would be so funny!!!

But I digress.

I think Frank is trying. I really do. The problem here is that it's obvious that his heart's not in it. It's a job and he's trying to do it. But it's not working. I saw him trying to work OLTL. I know he loved it and it was obvious. I detested most of his choices but he loved it. He had a vision and some stupid ideas, IMO, but I never doubted his dedication to the show. Here, not so much. I doubt it means much more to him than a paycheck. Now, I'm not faulting him for doing his job. There's nothing wrong with doing a job to best of his abilities. Not everyone loves their current position but you do it and that's it. But you don't let everyone know that. And they do. The consumers know it, Frank. I'm not even a fan and I know. You tipped your hand and now many don't trust you or like you.

The OLTL Trio Disaster proved it. You cared more about recreating your show in this platform than keeping this show true to itself. Now, I'll admit I cheered you on for it because I was a OLTL fan. But it didn't work. You had a lot of warnings it was going south. You should have cut your losses, released the characters, and not made a stink. It's tacky. You should have toned down the focus to begin with, IMO, and made it an easier progression. And Alderson was a disaster. You have to realize that. Easton was okay and Howarth was seemingly fine, except with the actor, but Alderson was a bomb. You needed to let go. And you didn't. And you're still not.

Okay, I know people insist he's coming back but I don't. I'll fess up and take my hits publicly if I'm wrong. But Howarth is walking on you. He's not holding out for a new character. He's not fighting. For him, from what I've seen, he ran. And fast. So, he's gone. In his last scene, I swear I heard him yell "Howarth Out!" as he exited stage whatever and highfived anyone who was around, doing a Rocky-like jig of triumph to be free.  It was embarrassing for you and your show.  Hell, he was gleeful.  Probably he was thinking about getting back to his true love- Slezak. I see the two of them whispering sweet nothings on the set as he sobs about how he was lost without her loving embrace. Those two really are too much in love for words. It makes me blush!!

But I digress. I loves me that romance.

Forcing Alderson into a square peg is a bad idea. I don't see the love here, Frank. But, again, I'm not speaking for everyone. Yet if someone wants to point me to the "we love Alderson on GH" boards, I'll be happy to oblige.  I've just never seen one.

You need to show you care about GH. The audience can feel it if you don't give a crap. And it feels like it. Hell, I don't even watch or care and I can feel it.  There are many reasons for this.  Mostly because you're letting Nimnuts run wild. He's a mess. He's recycling OLTL stories. Hell, he's even using the scripts. He ain't called Re-Ron for nothing! My God, this is bad. You need to drag him back and make him earn that paycheck. I know, he's pouting because he lost his Two Todds Opus.  I'm sorry, that makes me giddy!!! I'm so excited about that. I hear PP is making it just go away and bringing back SNV lickety split! It's a wonderful gift to the fans. And speaking for a few, we thank you.  It was a clusterfuck- excuse the pun.

But that's all I can say. You're killing your show, Buddy. You need to regroup, refocus, and let go. You lost OLTL. It's gone. Maybe you'll get it back one day- God, I hope not- but it's over. Like Howarth, it's out of your grasp. You have a whole other show with a talented cast and a rich history. Don't throw it away because you can't get over the one that got away. It's stupid.

That's one thing I know you're not, Frank, and that's stupid. You're misguided and wrong and, I think, angry and resentful.  And it's a shade of limelight that makes you look petty and bitter.

Think about it. But, as a OLTL fan, GH's loss is our gain. So, it's working for me!!I'll take the line from Howarth. ADDISON OUT!!! And I'm about to dance around the living room right now, in a jig of freedom. I never have to even watch GH edits on Youtube again. And it feels great.

Is it April 29th yet?





13 comments:

  1. Speak for yourself Dewitt! Just kidding. I have been eagerly waiting your next blog on this subject and as usual, you do not disappoint.
    You are spot on here. I admit I was one of those GH fans jumping up and down with glee upon seeing old favorites like Robert Scorpio come back. But his last visit was not only all too brief, he lost a fight with a woman old enough to guest star on The Golden Girls! I swear, I think I saw her in a Depends commercial the other day. Yes, he not only was fighting with an old woman, she knocked him out putting him into a coma from which he still has not awoken. This is the man who used to knock people out simply by using his famous Aussie-meets-Vulcan grip. (Or do I have him mixed up with Crocodile Dundee?) This is the cooler-than-the-other-side-of-the-pillow SCORPIO! He should change his name to another kind of insect, say a bally bug? Why does Ron get off on his male characters being emasculated by his female characters? (see Carly meets Todd).
    I also agree with you about Sabrina. My God, I swear the other day I saw cartoon bluebirds flying, rabbits hopping and fawns frolicking out of her ass and over populating the hospital lobby.
    Now I am going to re read your blog as I find it as therapeutic as watching Lucille Bluth on an old rerun of Arrested Development who said to Michael,"If you need me, I will be in the bar."
    "This is a hospital Mother. There is no bar."
    General Hospital could use one though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ADORE Lucille Bluth but Franklin's my favorite. I had to stop teaching AD because I tried to do lectures and laughed so hard, I couldn't speak. LOL!! It was a little embarrassing. Best line ever is GOB, of course- "A trick is something a whore does for money....or cocaine" to George Michael when he discusses his "illusions". LOLL.

      I'm writing these still so you all comment because I LOVE you!! You're so fun. I just like hearing what you have to say.

      Delete
  2. I must say, scathing, but every word is true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Franklin had me falling down roaring with ribald laughter.
    I would have loved that class you taught. The problem with Arrested Development is you find yourself laughing so hard at the first joke that you cannot hear the one which quickly follows it.
    I love what you said about Gigi. What is Farrah so angry about? All those bad hair cuts and horrid clothes she has had to endure? Back when she played Mimi on days, I knew a viewer who posted on the AOL soap boards who had your kind of wit. He detested Mimi and her stupid clothes which invariably included weird hair bows, rabbit hat purses and ponchos. One day this man was so incensed with her horrific acting he posted,"Mimi's poncho is a better actor that she is." I don't know why that cracked me up so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Franklin Comes Alive"- a classic CD. LOLL!! I loved when GOB is driving into his parent's complex and Franklin makes a racist remark to the gate guy. They close in on the guard, then GOB looking nervous, then Franklin. LOLLLLLLLLL!! Crying thinking about it. Can't wait till it's back.

      I did have to stop teaching it because I made a complete fool out of myself.

      But I also can't stop laughing at your post about FF. What is she angry about? She's talentless and had a decent career, which thankfully is over. I see what's hysterical about that post and her poncho. I think inanimate objects could be more alive than her!

      Delete
  4. Every time this person spoke of Mimi, it was always "Mimi and her Poncho."
    If you could get a picture of FF flipping you off with that angry expression washing over her Ally Opp-like face, please post it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you been following what those mendacious rat bastards from ABC have been pulling on Prospect Park? And their horrid behavior is hidden behind a veil of PR designed to make them look like the good guys. First, they kill off two soap operas, then they become possessive of the casualties.
    This show should be called Daytime of the Living Dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what happened to my comment but I know about all this. I think it's a legal pissing contest by a bitter Bitch, meaning Frankie. I've known about some of this for a while but not at liberty to say. I will say that I truly doubt Howarth will ever be on GH again. But I've been wrong before.......

      Delete
  6. Hoping most Fucking earnestly you are right about Howarth because I've had it with the Relish, Revolving Returns, and Romancing Sabrina. Not tuning in for the Reincarnation of the OL3. Super huge laugh at your post here about Baz! Hahaha and Re-Ron. Cartooni is another funny one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't pay me to watch this drivel. So not interested. I'm more into the paint drying scene on my ceiling.

      Delete
  7. I love you George Sanders and you too, Addison DeWitt. Now I feel like Mia Farrow from The Purple Rose of Cairo--thank God I don't have to chose!
    I have a quote in my head which works for me but I am not sure how to connect it to this situation. Jack Nicholson in The Three Witches of Eastwick rants,"Men complain that their wives are dead in bed when it was they who have KILLED THEM!" ABC kills OLTL and the characters by extension and then complains about how dead they are. But see? They take it one step further. They feel possessive of the very people whose lives they tried to snuff out! This is sick for so many reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One more thing; we appreciate and respect that you have to be discreet. I certainly hope you are right with your logically based assumption that Roger most likely will not return to GH. I like John McBain-- I like him here or there. I like him everywhere. And Starr as she is now? I do not like her here or there. I do not like her anywhere.
    One more thing--I have been watching Franklin on Youtube lately and he is so adept at cheering me up. I love it when he lunges for Lucille's throat while calling her "Oatmeal" as he screams,"How'd you like some brown sugar on that?"
    Jobe Bluth looks on with horror at what his puppet has said to his mother while his own lips move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The person who has told me some stuff is someone I know personally so I'm pretty confident in it. I'm not spilling as they wouldn't want me to and because things can change. I doubt this will, though. But even from watching this stuff, how anyone thinks Todd is coming back escapes me. Frank says he'll be someone else, PP says nothing, Howarth's people say he's Todd...that tells me nothing's happening and he's staying put on OLTL. His contract is no longer viable and his people are holding firm to it. Besides, like he'd leave his girlfriend Slezak? Not bloody likely!!

      I'm waiting with breathless anticipation for Franklin's reunion with Lucille One!!!

      Delete