Friday, March 8, 2013

Goodbye, Mr. Carlivati: Top Ten Things I WON'T Miss About Nimnuts

Let me preface this by saying I know nothing about sports. Like, less than nothing. But I was born, raised, bred, reared, and have paid taxes in Chicago. So, by osmosis, I have some knowledge of our crazy sports teams. I am a media freak by nature and profession. Thus, after years spent daily with Steve Dahl and Jonathon Brandmeier (currently on WGN-720 mornings from 6-10, central via the WGN app, or download at Itunes), I have a sports fan vs. player/owner/coach mentality.

I've always argued that the two most rabid fan bases are sports fans and soap fans. They share so much but they have one particular trait in common- they hate the "Man" and blame "him" for all. In sports, it's the owners, maybe the coaches, and sometimes the players but they get more love and therefore slack. However, when sports fans turn on a player, they better watch out. See: Brett Favre. OUCH!

So, when things go south with soaps, we, as fans, turn on the likely candidate. THE MAN- literally and figuratively. The Network, of course, the producer, and then the writer. The actors, like the player, get the most slack as they've been given little choice in how this all goes down.  But that doesn't mean they walk free. See: a lot of people.

Using this rather long analogy, you can see where I'm going. Our time on traditional television is over and, personally, I couldn't be happier. I am more than willing to lay all of my discontented feelings on one doorstep. I, as a proud Chicago Soap Fan who was trained to be a Fan by Cubs/Sox/Bears/Bulls/Blackhawks Psychos, maliciously point my finger at you, Mr. Carlivati.  I respectfully suggest, Sir, that you bite me. And suck it. And, in the words of Lee Elia in a spectacular rant, "Take that downtown and PRINT IT!"

Now, if you had any interesting color to your personality, Nimnuts, you'd come back as Elia did. 

"If you want to rip somebody, rip me," said Elia, "If you wanna rip somebody, rip my fuckin' ass. But don't rip them guys".  

Okay, he's right. I will rip you, Ron.  Because, as all Bears Fans say to everyone who will listen, "YOU SUCK!!" But, in this instance, I'm taking Elia's side, as he ripped into Cub Fans in 1983. Take a listen as he actually sticks up for his players and takes responsibility for sucking. I don't see that from you, Nimnuts. Be a man. Admit it. YOU SUCK!!

http://www.speakeasy.org/~bucky/lee_elia_br.mp3


I love that. It's what Nimnuts should say, but he won't.Because he's above that. And besides, if the fans don't like it, they should just not watch.  Okay. We won't, and we haven't.  How's that, Nimnuts?

Now if you had a backbone, you'd say that you're "busting your ass and we boo?" like Elia did. Yeah, right. We boo but not because you're busting your ass. But because YOU SUCK!!! And, in true sports fan fashion, here's why I think you suck.

The Top Ten Things I Won't Miss About Nimnuts- aka Why You Suck:

You think soaps are camp: They may be a little cheesey but they ain't camp, Dumbass.  They're melodrama. It's different. It may be a bit over the top but that doesn't make it camp. It makes it excessive. That's the difference. You don't seem to get it. I suggest a college course in melodrama. You obviously were asleep in yours.  I doubt it was in your curriculum, though. Yeah, you suck.

You think the audience is engaged if they're hating your fucking guts:  Where this mentality comes from, I don't know. It's moronic. It's not about making us hate you, it's about making us love you. And I see no one doing that even a little. They might hate you less than Guza, but no one loves you. Because, well, you suck.  You don't take what fans have loved for years and destroy it for no reason. And any reason you have is idiotic. See: Every couple fan on OLTL or GH. Because you suck.

You think it's true to character and history solely because you wrote it: This is truly ridiculous. I think this may be a direct quote. Todd Manning is not a manwhore who fucks any piece of ass that comes down the pike. That's not true to history. But, if you write that he's moved on from the rape, he has. When? How? Why? By moving out of town. Oh, no, because you said so...Okay. You suck!!!

You whitewash misdeeds because you're too lazy to actually write redemption stories: One word for you: Ford. Nothing else needs to be said. He took advantage of Jessica and you made it no big thing. Really? I thought it was a big thing and Viki and Clint should have his balls cut off, not accept him. That "love story" was truly nauseating. Now, I was a Todd Manning fan, so I believe in redemption. But I have to see it. It can't be Boo-Boo Face for five minutes and then it's all good. Get some creativity and patience, Dude, this sucks.

You think the audience will tolerate anything as long as there's five seconds of "good": You tease and taunt and think it's about angst or longing or building anticipation. It's not. It sucks. Natalie and Brody? Are you kidding me? So, you have a few furtive looks between her and John and then slap them together for one episode? Are you insane? Your interpretation of  building anticipation is non-existent and when you slap them together then you have to. Know why? Because you suck.

You're a disrespectful, pompous ass who thinks that he's above the audience: Lee Elia was mad. I'll give him that. But what's your excuse? I know, it's hypocritical to talk about being disrespectful when I rip you, but if you weren't so obnoxious, I wouldn't. Even though I think your tweets are amusing, you better not think it's helping you. You sound like an ass. I can be an ass. No one's paying me for this and I don't make a dime. I do this to entertain myself. I see you're doing that, as well, the problem is, you have to make money for those corporate types.  You ain't cutting it.  I saw the ratings. And degrading and deriding your customers is not smart, to say the least.


You don't know that Shock is not Drama: Having the audience gasp in horror or being shocked is fine. But it's a stunt. Not drama. It's a dramatic moment. You don't make that the story, it's the beginning or maybe the middle, but not the story itself. You make it the motivation for the REST OF THE STORY!! That's your problem. You never play out the rest of the story. You look for the next shock moment and plot point and that's it. You don't explain things in a interesting way. You don't flesh out ideas or fallout. You move on. That sucks but it leads to:

You're not able to write a complete thought:  Let's call it "Short Attention Span Theater".  You are the one who doesn't get serial drama, Buddy. It's about the long story, not the plot point. You lose interest after the reveal or the moment and can't be bothered to finish that thought. That's where the interesting stuff is, Dummy. Not in the moment. We want to see it play out and have ramifications for years and how that works and what it means. You don't. And you're wrong. Because, well, you suck!!


You're a Misogynistic Rat Bastard who's obsessed with Rape:  In the brilliant "Angels in America", Roy Cohen says he's not a gay man, he's a man who has sex with men. There's a difference. I think you should think about that, Buddy Boy, because the way you characterize and treat women makes me think you have the same ideas. You are more misogynistic than any Chauvinist Pig I've ever seen. How dare you take a woman's form and turn it against women the way you do. I think this is my real problem with you. Your attitudes towards the victimization of women is nauseating and reactionary.  You probably don't worry because your rapes aren't "legitimate" rape, right, Ronny? You make me sick. You make women stupid, desperate, clawing victims and romanticize rape. You can claim they're supposed to be horrifying, but that ain't working, Buddy. You should be ashamed of yourself. And if I were a gay man, I'd shun your reactionary ass! As a woman, that's a given. YOU SUCK!!

You destroy great characters for your "Vision"- or lack thereof: Dorian, Marty, Mitch, Todd, Blair. All ruined under your poison pen. I know people hate Mitch, but I loved him. He wasn't a cartoon. He was evil. There's a difference. You made him into a disgusting joke, instead of a realistic, terrifying character. And Dorian-  don't start. She was a joke, not a strong, independent woman but a desperate source of fun. And Marty? OMG, don't start me on that either. You made a strong, rape survivor into a psychotic killer. Nice. Nice job. For that alone, you suck. And you should be ashamed of yourself.

Well, I hope never to have to rant about you again, but something tells me I might. I can't even think about that and I send my condolences to the GH fans who are stuck with you as long as that show exists. But besides the degradation, you should think about it. What makes people hate you the way they do? Maybe it's not just that they're assholes. I am, I admit it. But some of them aren't.

Listen to Lee Elia. He was angry and frustrated. But  he admitted they sucked. He was angry the fans weren't with him but he acknowledged the issues working against him. And, personally, I've never met more loyal fans than Cub Fans. They have to be. Yet he was upset and angry with himself more than anything.  Take it as a lesson, Ron, this isn't mean fans who you need to block on Twitter. Under the vitriol and the hate, there's a cause for it. And it's you. It's all on you.

Now, where's Lee Elia now? He's working in Atlanta, I see. That's nice. It's warmer. But I wish him well as I respect him.  You- not so much. Where will you be when GH tanks which we all know is coming soon? Will you come back to OLTL so we can all freak and scream and rail on you? God, I hope not. But, if you do, you better watch your ass. We're fans. We forgive but we never forget. Remember Brett Favre. Watch your step. Everyone hates Brett Farve forever in Green Bay. I think we'll be feeling the same way.

Now, Nimnuts, take that downtown and print it!





22 comments:

  1. Just wow. Just....so many thoughts I've had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things I dislike about you, Professor DeWitt, is your inability to take a stance. For Christ's sake, pick a lane! Heh. I enjoyed this rant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indecision and being too fair in my judgment us an issue....only not.

      Delete
  3. This brilliant rant was especially therapeutic because I turned GH on during the last 10 seconds today. There's Todd being dragged off to jail and the reporters ask him if has anything to say,"Just this," Todd replies, suddenly looking impassioned, "Carly, I love you." Suddenly a look of confusion washes over Roger's face as if he's thinking, 'What the fuck did I just say?' Then cut to Carly, whose hair still seems to be suffering from scissor shock, with that overwrought, desperately-seeking-attention look on her face. And speaking of her hair, if hair had an expression, her chopped up hairstyle would look as confused as Todd looks when he proclaims his undying love for a woman he's know for two hot seconds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!!!! Her hair is unfortunate. She thinks it makes her look twenty....not kidding.

      Nothin's makes her look twenty. Or thirty. Or forty.....

      I heard the scenes were moronic. I don't get how anyone takes this seriously. I've never seen Howarth this disinterested. And I've seen it all. Unfortunately!

      Delete
  4. Oh Addison.. Not to be mean but are you honestly surprised by todays show, RC wrote ' Paddling away from Happiness..' he has no love for Todd or Blair or anything about OLTL he feels the need to destroy these characters, crap on them, set them on fire all the while he is claiming to love then because he pays attention to them.
    Anyone who wrote 'paddling away from happiness' has never paid one iota of attention to OLTL history and never cared anyway.. Good Riddance RC
    The good news is hopefully PP can salvage Todd and the rest of this show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing surprises me. After the Magic TV, anything is possible. This guy is truly a hack.

      Delete
  5. "Paddling away from happiness?" Really. Ron is like the inverted Gatsby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done. This is the best outline of RC's faults as a writer i've seen. Wonderfully detailed! There is one more "biggie" that should be added though:

    WINKING AT THE AUDIENCE WILL NOT MAKE THEM FORGIVE YOU FOR DISRESPECTING THEM! One of the worst habits of soap writers: writing something completely implausible under the guise of "it doesn't matter because it's just a soap!" People love soaps because they offer (in theory at least) a long detailed consistent storyline backed with decades of history. Pissing all over said history will not win you admiration. Rather it insults the viewers' intelligence and sends the message there's no need to get invested in the stories being told because they can always be undone at any time. (Especially in this day and age when viewers can look up the history of a show quite easily and even watch the old clips) RC's worst examples (out of many): (1) Mitch's last return from the dead. When he had previously been killed, there were different witnesses to his body and "Todd" cremated him so he'd "stay dead" this time. Not only did RC not even try to offer any explanation, he even admitted in an interview months later that he still hadn't worked out exactly how Mitch managed to survive. (Um, Nimnuts, it's your JOB to work that out BEFORE you bring the story to the screen!) (2) Making Dani older than Jack when the whole circumstances leading to her conception was tied with a failed kidnapping of Starr and Jack. Such bastardizations of history does nothing but demonstrate hatrid towards the audience and all the "clever" little meta-jokes and hand waves doesn't make us forgive you for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, DW. He's lazy and incompetent. That's it. The Jack/Dani thing is ridiculous but anything that gives me Mitch back, I'd take! LOL!

      The insta-love with Todd and Carly is being noticed and ridiculed by more than me. Next up on his hit list- Lulu and Dante. I hear they're headed to splitsville to make Rylan available to others.

      Nice. Nice job. Make more fanbases hate you.

      Delete
  7. Insta-love is right. Truly having trouble tuning in for the great Bromance of Carly and Todd, I mean, really could she emasculate him any more than she has? You da man, Carly, da man! This incarnation of Todd has me nearly hating him for his groveling, grasping desperation. It reeks of slapped together insincerity, and visually, their chemistry is so saturated with her testosterone that she just reduces him to a little lovesick puppy-boy begging for treats - dotting his I's with little hearts and curlicues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's thoroughly ridiculous. But reading this post makes it almost worth it! Hysterical, but I expect no less from you. You always crack me up.

      Delete
  8. Disco Dante, along with his puka shells and Sergio Valenti bell bottomed jeans, needs to bogie on down to the end of a short pier. I don't know why I call him Disco Dante or why I envision him wearing Sergio Valenti jeans and puka shells but it just works in my head. I think he reminds me of a dude from high school who was in my freshman class. This guy would stand in front of his locker checking out all the girls who passed by while periodically combing his hair using the large toothed comb he kept in his back pocket. I agree with Professor Addison and George Sanders about Carly manliness. In fact, in one of my many comments which I was unable to post, I also referred to Carly as having more testosterone than Todd. Clearly purse holding Todd has more estrogen. Really, why would any man find her sexually attractive? She has as much sex appeal as my Hoover vacuum only she sucks more, especially after she let Edward Scissorhands cut her hair. Addison, Ron needs to take one of your plot development courses (if you teach such a course) because Tarly has rapidly gone from introduction to resolution without the conflict, rising action and climax which goes in between. And couldn't Carly just say no just once to any man who gives her a second look? Must she always play the girl who just can't say no? She is looking sad, desperate and pathetic, and I can't help but feel sorry for Laura Wright. Please get Todd out of Port Charles before Carly starts calling him "my boyfriend" as she referred to her former purse holder, Johnny Rotten. Who north of forty talks like that? My boyfriend? Really? Grow the hell up, Carly!

    PS. I too, thought the dehumanizing of Mitch Lawrence was some God awful writing. He was scarier when he was fleshed out and believable. They did the same thing to the villain in the remake of Cape Fear with Robert DeNiro playing the villain that Robert Mitchum so brilliantly played. DeNiro, who is usually spot on, turned this compelling man into Freddy Krugar. Speaking of villains, have you ever blogged about the greatest soap villain of all time? That would be that Southern charmer, the hillbilly with the soul of a poet, the man in the white suit and hat, the man who sputters forth his lines with copious amounts of heavy breathing, mumbles, and enough spit to make the person to whom he is addressing ask if he serves napkins with his speech? Yes, that would be Mr.Billy Clyde Tuggell, a character who seems as though he stepped out of a Flannery O'Connor short story. The actor played him so brilliantly that the character rose from the pages of the script, transcending his fictional existence. Who else but Billy Clyde could make you laugh and feel fear at the same time? He provided dark comedy for sure. I hope that he rides his "Clydemobile" back into Pine Valley to claim his little Dixie flower while providing a foil for Tadd Martin who clearly can't fight with Adam Chandler anymore because it's clear he has affection for the man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, I loved Billy Clyde. He was so scarey but true. I have mentioned him and throw him nothing but love and respect. I call Christine Baranski "Mrs. Billy Clyde Tuggle"!!Mitch was originally true, as well, but Ron, of course, ruined that as he's a hack.

      Roscoe Borne can save almost any story but not this dog. And then they had those great scenes with him and Charlie and the prison and dropped him completely. It was a travesty.

      I don't feel sorry for Ms. Wright as she only makes this worse. She's a middle aged broad, like me, and she needs to deal with it. She just posted a totally obnoxious picture of herself on Twitter. She's just making herself look pathetic. I hate Carly but I'm starting to really dislike this actress.

      Don't these people have publicists? My God.....

      Delete
  9. ......well, as my buddy Osgood used to say, nobody's perfect. I was trying to be polite about Laura Wright, but yes, those Tweets are really obnoxious and really rather rude to Cassie (Blair). Really, Laura? Carly and Todd are the loves of each other's lives? I am glad to know you're a Billy Clyde fan too--and of course you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LMAO! You ain't even touched the clusterfuckage known as Sabrina!!

    I couldn't agree more with every word!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I'd like to know why veteran characters are stuck in propping pimping mode and why the entire hospital side is devoted to a newbie from nowhere....now we got Ellie and Spinelli in the lab for relish asking Dr. Collins for help.. oh then there is the Nurses Ball being organized by two newbies and a vet overpropping them; I can go on and on with the gimmicky /campy / bait n switch storytelling but ratings are up so that's all they care about.

    When the 50th and the vampires are over, and he runs out of vets to bring back to holla for a min then has to stand soley on stories, I'll see but right now I'm just trying to follow all this he's throwing at me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the ratings are up but it's kind of relative. They are barely up from Guza which doesn't say much because according to some people Guza was the worst ever. They fluctuate from day to day which tells you people aren't watching to enjoy the storyline, they are watching to see certain people. Let's wait til these vets leave again and the excitement for the Ball is over.

      Delete
    2. I haven't been a GH fan for years, obviously, but I was back in the day and I would have loved to have seen stories with these Vets. I see there's nothing, so I'm not missing anything. I loved F/F and Scotty is one of my favorite characters of all time. But, I suppose, it's not worth it.

      What a waste. So much potential lost.

      Delete
  12. I was chatting with friends of mine when I cam across the link for this blog and I could not agree more. And before I continue I want to clearly state that I blame Laura Wright for the way this Tarly nonsense is continuing.

    Todd loves Carly?!?!?!?!?!?!?! What? They screwed like for 30 minutes, and were going to decide to be a couple (Good lord help me, this is within a year of bye bye CarJohn, something Ron destroyed for Tarly. which they never even decided)
    Now what i don't get is........what exactly does Carly know about Todd? Jason asked her and she said she does not need to know anything, then she fumes that Todd betrayed her but then again she's .....need I continue?
    Am telling you Laura is my favorite actress but she has me so angry and disgusted with her. It's like her ego just automatically took over.
    Just incase it wasn't known, she's the one that pimped Tarly. But what I don't get it, what's to pimp? A.J butt smacking and Todd's jokes in the middle of the Metro Court? Am confused. That's the grand Tarly angst/ love?

    I have never felt so embarrassed watching my favorite's character look dumber than dumb. Now this is not Roger's fault because honestly, I bet he wonders how two people who have never been seen together in public or on a date DATE are in love and have feelings. Let's not forget that they spent most of their conversations in Todd's room.

    Another thing that annoys me is how the sophisticated Todd Manning was turned into this stupid clown. Um........ and setting up a spy cam in Carly's home with her kid there? You'd think they'd have Todd take it down a notch or two with being a borderline stalker, desperate for a woman he barely knows.
    And I agree, Ron absolutely took Blair (Kassie) out of the equation and isolated T&B. what he also did was destroy one fan base to forge his own. When I read Laura's interview about Tarly I can promise you I was more than disgusted I puked in my mouth! I was like WOW! Kindred spirits? Really? What gives?
    I was very ashamed as a fan of hers. I've tweeted her before and told her that I hate what's become of her character. Something tells me that she knows it's not ok for Carly to behave that way, but she just wants what she wants. She makes me miss Guza so bad.
    I have no issue with her hair though LOL it looks great.
    What I hate is hoe Michael is also now saying his mother loves Todd? What shows? so now Michael and Starr are pimping Tarly smh.

    As for the Sabrina crap, that's another obsession. Can you imagine Patrick and Sabrina as girlfriend and boyfriend? I feel so bad for Jason T. I read a recap where he said the Sabrina stuff is OTT and honestly mu gut tells me he just wishes Kimberly would just come back already. I call that Sabrina/Patrick/britt mess "sweet valley high" LOL!

    Right now Ron has proven to me that he's a far worse writer than Guza ever was. I never had an issue with Guza. I may not have had an issue with Ron's writing if it was not calculated and out of nowhere. He is just terrible.

    the women not being able to say no to men or be independent makes me ill. a grown ass woman has 3 kids and she's playing childsh games like spank my ass,pretend to be my boyfriend in public? I remember Laura saying she wanted better for Carly and she wanted a stronger Carly and more independent. Well I guess the tune has changed.

    I want the T&B fans to write to the Headwriter on OLTL 2.0 and ask her to fix what Ron broke with T&B. From what I gather she was one of the original creators of that pairing.

    and on that note I've never wished for Todd Manning to get recast till now. I can't watch Roger play this idiot any longer. Granted Roger is hilarious, that's all Todd has been reduced too. Mocking people and acting silly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I don't like LW but I love you! She should be trying to make people like you happy and not herself.

      Thanks for being so nice. I'm not nice to your fav but it's not about the fans ever. I think we all deserve better.

      I think if you watch OLTL, Howarth will win you back. I sense he'll be real Todd there. He ran back too fast. I guess he didn't like this crap either.

      Love your insight!

      Delete