Friday, October 5, 2012

The Waiting is the Hardest Part: Carly Simon, Heinz, and the Daytime Drama

In the 1970s or 80s, there was a ketchup commercial that used Carly Simon's song "Anticipation" playing as they waited for the ketchup to pour out.



The idea here is that the ketchup is so thick, it takes a long to get it out of the container but it's worth it. I've always hated Carly Simon, much more intersted in her more talented ex, James Taylor, but I've never forgotten that commercial. It was very effective.

I think about that song as I peruse the boards as I'm in a film lab. Anticipation is everywhere in terms of the daytime drama. When's Blair back?  Okay, she's coming but when? Who else is coming? Will Burton go to Y&R?  Is Jax coming back?  Where's Robin?  All questions with no answers, only more anticipation.

Viewers are clinging to "insiders" for a clue. Disreputable ones- and you know who you are- are playing with this and giving out fake comments to build their own egos.  It's sad to watch people gobble up any morsel that gets them what they want.  Others appear and are not believed.  Funny, as I know some of them are right and they're degraded and put down as frauds as they oppose the real fraud.  Sad, viewers are reduced to pawns of meglamaniacs on power trips, for what purpose, I don't know. But it seems as if there isn't much else in this "insider's" life. Pathetic isn't even appropriate, it's worse than that.

It's funny as if people would just wait and watch, it may be worth it. I'll never forget moments of complete shock that knocked me off the couch. I remember watching one where Max and Gabby had done the deed in Asa's cabin and there was a video camera outside the window. I remember watching the screen, there was a shot from outside, of the camera, and of a hand pushing stop, and then ejecting the video.  Then the camera panned over and showed Todd, who'd been out of town for a while, smiling a cheshire grin. I was on summer break and was at the cabin at the beach and I about fell out my chair.  "Holy shit," I said to no one, "It's Todd!!!"  I was truly shocked and enjoyed every moment of it. 

I remember this past year, I was with a five year old, right before New Years Eve, and I was watching OLTL live. The kid was playing with me and the dog and I was watching out of my peripheral vision. As I was playing tug of war with the kid and the dog, I looked up. I saw Todd grab Blair and plant a big wet one right on her. I was shocked. I didn't know that was coming.



I let go and the dog fell back.  "OMG", I said, with a dumb look on my face and my mouth hanging open.  That was unexpected, to say the least. The kid didn't get it....thank God!

You see, being surpised can be a good thing. It can fun and enticing and interesting. It can make moments more dramatic. It can make moments you remember. I know that I'm impatient and like to know stuff, too. I like people telling me secrets and knowing things others don't. But I don't necessarily need it. It doesn't make it more fun.

There are so many rumors out there and one would make my head spin. If ever I watch GH and see my boyfriend, David Hayward, looking dastardly and hot and brilliant, I'd not only fall off my couch but run screaming in the street. That's one surprise I don't want ruined. I want to see it fresh.

But, until that time, I'll keep listening and smirking when I get good scoop. It's a weakness, I admit it.  Just don't listen to everyone who claims to know things and, if they have a terrible track record, don't buy it. It's a sham

No comments:

Post a Comment