Tuesday, October 30, 2012

What Really Matters, II: Natural Disasters, Presidential Politics, and the Serial Drama

I know, I know. People are upset that there's a promo with Todd making out with Carly.  I get it. It's icky.  But, ya know what?  Get some perspective, People. It's a TV show.  Ya know what matters- this:





This is what matters. People are losing their homes, their lives, and their sense of security.  Get a grip, Fans.  This is what matters- human loss and devastation.

Hurricane Sandy ripped through the East Coast like, well, a hurricane. The devastation is so extreme that the Jersey Shore literally is being redrawn.  New York's subways are under water.  Massive fires took down at least fifty homes in Queens.  And this storm is such a beast, it's ripping into my beach in Indiana.  Indiana, for God's sake.  Now that's a big storm.  And Sandy better not erode my beach much or I'm going to go postal!








I've always been obsessed with big stories that involve the most dramatic elements- normal people in extraordinary situations over which they have no control.  I love the small stories about kindness among strangers and people banding together to save one another from harm. I'm a sucker that way. A populist at heart. I truly, deep down, believe in Capra's ideal that if we all band together, we can overcome evil and turn the negative into a positive- complete with hugs and crying and parties ala George Bailey's homecoming. I still cry every time I watch that damn movie!!





I do think that the little guy can overcome the big, bad Corporate Raider who is only interested in himself and his pocketbook.  I do think that if we look into the hearts of these people, we'll find coal.  If we rip the fronts of their houses, we'll find swine.  I believe evil does exist but it's not Communists or Muslims or any other "Other", but it is our own.  Those who think it's someone else's job to take care of their own are the true evil.  And we encounter it's smiling face everyday.  I saw it in Mitt Romney as he told the world that he didn't care about 47% of this country. That's evil.



Mitt Romney is Mr. Potter.  Really.

I still remember being glued to my television set on that Labor Day Weekend when Katrina hit. I was sitting at my place on the beach- mesmerized- and not believing what I was seeing.  The human cost was outrageous and the lack of concern on part of the Bush Administration only made me hate them more than I already did- if that was possible. I remember seeing my boyfriend, Brian Williams, standing in the French Quarter, saying "If I'm here, why aren't they?" in reference to FEMA's lack of assistance.  Bush patting the arm of the  head of FEMA, a useless incompetent, and saying "Atta boy, Brownie" still makes my blood boil.  I also later learned that I loved Kanye West not for his talent or his being from Chicago, but for his balls. George Bush didn't care about black people.  The dude was right and had the nerve to say it.



As we draw to another Presidential Election, I'd like you all to think about this.  Where's this President? Is he campaigning? Is he flying over, surveying damage, and patting his dumbass cronies on the back? No. He's not. He's there working with the Red Cross, surveying the damage on the ground, and giving Federal Funds to help those who cannot help themselves.  He's not gladhanding. He's working.  He cares about black people. He cares about white people. He cares about all people- more than the 52% that may vote for him. He's not snubbing the Republican Governor of New Jersey.  Even Chris Christie is praising his efforts here. This is someone who has a heart and a soul, not just a cash register where his heart should be.

I bristle when I hear people degrade and deride the "Chicago Way".  Yeah, we have a lot of graft and corruption.  Who doesn't?  And ya know what, at least we also have politicians who don't hold themselves above others.  They don't feel they're too good to get in the dirt and get the job done. They don't fly around and look down while people are begging for help, dieing in the Superdome, and being deprived of water and essentials.  That's the Chicago Way. We actually give a shit about all people!!!

The President is right. The Election will take care of itself.  And that's our job.

Go out and vote. But remember this.  The last time there was devastation to this extent, we had a Republican who was so detached from reality, he let people die in the streets. This time, that's not happening. It's time for you to think about it.  What kind of government do you want?  One run by a man who is so detached that he's back on the campaign trail, taking contributions for the Red Cross?  Here's an idea, ASSHOLE, send your money. You have it.  Send it.  Oh, yeah, I forgot. The East Coast is mostly the 47% who won't vote for you, so you don't care.  

Bite me, Romney!! This is what you'll get if you vote for this schmuck.  Passing the buck to you to take care of people in need because he, like Bush, can't be bothered. Or, you can vote your conscience, and vote for the man who may not have gotten as much done as he wanted, but at least he's trying. He's there. And he will be.  Hopefully for four more years.

If he's not, I wish you all luck.  It will be ugly. And I'm not talking about Todd kissing Carly.  But that will be ugly, too. But, right now, I'm too worried about all of us to be concerned by a fictional character getting into a fat broad. The only fat person I care about right now is Chris Christie who showed us what all Republicans should be- honest and not dealing with bullshit Party Politics. And a fan of my friend, Barack.



Here's to you, Chris, I usually hate you but for now, you're okay. I think the President is pretty wonderful, too.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this Addison, puts things in perspective. Mitt Romney is worse than disgusting and the former head of FEMA Brownie can have my scorn as well for his comments about what President Obama is doing over in New Jersey. He's doing what he should be in this instance jackass.
    Obama is doing what a President should do, lead and take care of business not letting people die in the streets like they are unworthy. Dubya I will always severely hate for Katrina and his gross incompetence. Anderson Cooper, Brian Williams, Harry Connick Jr, Brad Pitt, Sean Penn and a host of musicians, journalists and the like came to Louisiana but Bush and his people were nowhere to be seen for quite some time.
    I have respect for Chris Christie since he threw away the party politics line and acted human. Something most republicants for years have no clue about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's keep our fingers crossed all works out for the best. I do have a new found respect for Christie. He's telling it like it is. No Party Politics involved- only helping people.

      Delete