Sunday, February 5, 2012

When Did Bruce Springsteen Stop Being Fun?

I have to preface this rant with one thing.  I love Bruce Springsteen.  I've loved him since 1977 when I joined the Columbia Record Club.  I got 10 albums for a penny.  I was ten and thought it would be "cool" to be into music, so I ordered the top ten list.  I can't remember what else I got, but I know I got Born to Run and maybe a Steely Dan album.  My mother, who was appalled, had to write a long letter to get me out of the "contract" but I kept the albums.

I went upstairs to my blue and white bedroom on the North Shore of Chicago and played Born to Run.  It was a revelation. This was my life!  Grief, pain, despair, anger, resignation, yes, that was me.  I wanted Calvin Klein jeans and all I had were Levis.  I was too fat to look really good in Gloria Vanderbilt jeans, anyway, so I thought I was settling to begin with.  My mother had the GALL to sign me up for TWO sessions of summer camp and I didn't want to go to even one!  I got it! Yes, I could get the fear of gang fights and owing mob guys money and being so desperate, you just want to run. I had to deal with sixth grade, for Chrissakes!

At any rate, I waited in line overnight to get into the front row of his Soldier Field show in 1986.  I've been to so many shows I can't count.  I cry when he plays Jungleland and I dance like an idiot when he begins Rosalita.  I wept when the Big Man died and still feel teary when I think about it.  But, I have to be honest.  I am pissed at Bruce Springsteen and have been for years.  Maybe that's because my Bruce has left the building.

I know, the man's an artist.  He should change and grow and speak from his heart.  I know he's not a working class kid from Jersey anymore.  I know he's more than a silly rock star.  But, damnnit, Dude, what happened to the fun?  When did Bruce become Woody Fucking Guthry?  Now, don't get me wrong.  I loves me some Dylan and there's a place for Pete Seeger in my pantheon.  But I don't need Bruce for it.  I can go to the original. When did my working class hero rock star become a fucking folk singer?  Let me tell you, Bud, it ain't working and it's just pissing me off!

In the shows of the past few decades, whenever he pulls out the "Tom Joad shit", as I call it, I go get a cocktail or visit the bathroom.  I really don't feel the need to listen to garbled lyrics and boring music.  I know it's not all about me, although I'm not sure why, but damnit, it makes me want to literally pull out my eardrums and eat them with hot sauce.  STOP IT and sing fucking She's the One! Or maybe I'm a Rocker.  Or Sherry Darling would be wonderful! I want to hear Bruce Springsteen's gutteral tones in those songs and not the whining about injustice for the poor.

Let me be clear.  One of my favorite albums of all time is Nebraska.  It's not that I don't appreciate the occasional folk song or toned down ballad.  But it's out of control.  Remember who you are, Buddy, and why we love you.  We don't listen to you to change the world.  I appreciate your politics.  I agree with you.  I'm a union member. I went to the Obama rally on election night and cried and hugged strangers. 

I'm a dedicated fucking liberal and work to enlighten young minds.  But I do that as it's my job.  It's not yours!! I go to you to have a good time.  An occasional political discussion is fine but, damnit, then entertain me.  Life sucks and I look to you for fun.  Woody Guthry wasn't fun.  And, I hate to say it, but he sucks.  Don't make me go there, Bruce, I love you.  I don't want to draw out the analogy.  It would hurt too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment