Friday, May 11, 2012

Holy Disinterest, Batman! Am I Over Todd Manning?

Okay, so I have a few things that I feel I should confess.  One is that today as I drove down Route 53 in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, I heard the song "Slit Skirts" by King of Time, Space, and Dimension, one Peter Townshend, on WXRT- 93.1. I whined out an "AWWW", turned it up as loud as I could, and drove about 85 in a 55 zone, as if I were in high school and loved every minute of it.

On a related note, not long after, I heard "In a Big Country" by the ironically named  Big Country- who'd guess they'd be named the same thing as their big hit- and again squeed like a high school fangurl!! I turned the radio up as loud as it would go, made an ass out of myself as I drove down my north shore suburban, residential block, and then sat in the car, singing along in my driveway, until it was over.  My neighbors are used to me by now, BTW.

My point here being that although I am middle aged and have far too many letters after my name to begin listing them, I can still act like a teenaged twit.  I  will also confess that beginning last May, I raced home from work to watch OLTL and, not only scheduled summer appointments around it, but yelled at family members who interrupted my scheduled viewings and, sigh, watched it several times over on Soapnet.

Lastly, I will admit to standing up in front of the television, applauding like a moron, when Roger Howarth looked at the audience from that stupid chair and snarled "And my name is TODD!"  I believe I even yelled "YEAH!!!!" and raised fists in the air.  Here it is at about 55:



That was good. I also will admit to yelling things at the screen like "Get him, Todd", usually in reference to that annoying Tomas, or ""Kill the bastard" or "Take him out, Todd, he sucks" in reference to his "special" brother.  Obviously, I talked back to the character often.  I missed him and I was happy to have him back. It had been eight years and I loved having fun with Todd at lunchtime.

But that was last May.  And, now, it's this May.  As I drove home today, I was happy to hear Pete Townshend, as I miss him, and even that silly Big Country, but I didn't even realize that this was the day that Todd Manning was back. You see, I didn't remember. I didn't set my DVR.  I didn't rush home, as I was sitting in the driveway when I could have easily been inside. It seemed that hearing a pleasant '80's diddy was more important at that moment.  And, for one of my last confessions of the day, I have to admit that I didn't remember because I just didn't care.

You see, as I came home, I did what I always do.  I have to check to see which undergrad is freaking out about what in my email, I take the dog for a walk, and then I give myself a treat and scroll around soap boards as entertainment.  It's a nice way to avoid anything real like the dreaded "what will I make for dinner" question. While doing so, I did see that today was the day that Todd Manning returned.  Another day in May. I thought about it for a minute, then moved on.  I was a bit shocked.  I wasn't interested.

I do admit to reading a "transcript" of Howarth's Twitter Chat about nothing, more out of curiosity of what he'd actually say than think he'd divulge anything interesting or earth shattering.  I'm happy to report I was correct. He said nothing.  But he did so very well.  Good for you, Dude!  You have that PR crap very well in hand.

I did enjoy the dated Batman comment, as I make them often, as noted in the title here and in other entries. I am a fan of "Holy Whatever, Batman" but I do chime in with "Same Bat-time, Same Bat-station", as well.  I do like the outdated popular culture references that signify us as a generation and make the young'uns roll their eyes.  I get a perverse pleasure out of it.  Actually, though, my favorite is a reference to the fantastic Peter Bergman, former Dr. Cliff Warner, current Jack Abbot.  I often use "I'm not a whatever, but I play one on TV".  I even enjoy the blank stares I get from students when I use it.  I think of it as an "Gen-X, Baby Boom Inside Joke".  So, the comment from Howarth did make me smile, but there was nothing else that he said that interested me.  However, no interviews with celebrities interest me as most of them are, well, a bunch of PR crap.  And therefore, not interesting by their very nature.

But can it be that Todd Manning is no longer interesting?  I have no real need to go to Youtube to see if it's uploaded.  I may at some point, but it's not a given.  I just, well, don't care.  How can it be possible that I get a complete charge out of a dumb '80's song and the return of my last, living, favorite soap character leaves me cold?  I guess there's only one reason.

Where's Blair? 

Where's Viki?  Where's Bo and Nora and Marty?  If all I'm getting is Todd and Tea, God help you all because I ain't rushing home for that.  Starr?  Maybe I'll Youtube.  But Todd and Carly?  Yeah, don't think so.  Todd and Sonny?  Sorry, not interested.  Todd and a bunch of other strangers I don't care about?  Not today.  But thank you for your years of service and I wish you well in your future.  And don't let the door hit you on the way out.

You see, I think Frankie and Ronnie have lost me.  And, I'll venture to guess, other hard core fans like me.  For the 8,967, 320th  time, no Llanview, no family, no interesting relationships, no Todd. He's mediocre on his own and I'd rather sit in my car, rockin' out to a bad '80's song.   I have better things to do with my time.  And I don't think that's what they wanted.  But that's what they'll get....that is, until Blair comes back.  And Viki.  And Llanfair. 

I'm not gone forever Just for now.  Maybe, like we waited for Todd to re-emerge, you should wait for us this time.  We'll be back.  When we have something more to come back for.  But until then, I'll stick with walking the dog, ignoring student emails, and listening to WXRT. Funny, the DJS on that wonderful station (which is available to all Gen X-ers and Baby Boomers around the world on the Iphone app "Radio.com") are voices I recognize and in an environment I love.  In fact, when my best friend  who moved West years ago, comes back to visit, the first thing she does in the rental car is turn on WXRT.  She said the voices remind her that she's home.  See the point, guys?  No one likes strangers in the place of old friends.

I'm patient, though.  Just let me know when it's time.  And if that never happens, I guess we all need to move on at some point.  I'll just think that Todd ended naked in bed with Blair, shocked, horrified, and amusing as all hell.  Sigh.  I loved that guy.

And I'll miss him.  But, as with Pete Townshend today in the car, maybe he'll surprise me and come back unexpectedly.  I'm still available for talking back to him on the screen. Summer's around the corner and he was my lunch entertainment for many a summer break.  Let me know and I'll schedule you in.  But don't come empty handed...or alone.  Or, worse yet, with strangers!! They are not welcome in my living room.




No comments:

Post a Comment