Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The OLTL-ifying of GH: Hello, Tracy Quartermaine! Welcome to Llanview.

Okay, I was a big GH fan in the 1980s, as it was required viewing for all us in the teen contingent. But I have to admit that I was not a Luke and Laura fan. If you haven't noticed, "nice" characters rarely intrigue me unless they're complicated like my hero, Viki.  Laura was not for me. I did enjoy Luke, though.  Yet one of my favorites was always Tracy. And I'm happy to report, that hasn't changed. I loves me some Tracy Quartermaine! And now I know why.  She's so interesting, she's almost a OLTL character.  And, now, it seems she is.

I did break and watch one whole show live as the academic year is winding down and, well, it's a hard habit to kick.  I found GH, in general, dull, but the Tracy/Luke/Guy from Hillstreet Blues scenes were really fun.  I think his name is Anthony, but I can't be bothered as he's being killed, obviously, and this show is running on fumes, and, well, I don't care.  At any rate, I was pleasantly surprised by how amusing and interesting Tracy's scenes were. And how LIGHT!



I found that she was as wonderful as ever and Jane Elliot, like wine, improves with time.  Yet I'm not sure she needed improvement as I find her to be on the Slezak/Strasser/Hubbard level of fabulousness.  There's nothing better than a lady with a few years on her that can still bring it like an ingenue.  She's that damn talented and she's the last good thing on that dismal show!  So, I'm going on the record saying that Tracy is the shit!!!I love her and she's being given my top rating.  If there's any future for "Valentini's Folly", as I'll call it, I would love for her to be a part of it.

You see, I'll admit to being biased and old school in my tastes.  But Tracy's character is what soaps used to be. She's not good, she's not bad, she's just, well, complicated. She loves with her whole heart and she's fiercely loyal but she's not opposed to doing what it takes to get the job done.  She's GH's Dorian and, God knows, every show should have one.  Monica used to be her foil back in the day and that was terrific. But, as with everything great on GH, that was abandoned years ago it seems. Someone with a functioning brain cell thought to keep Tracy. That was the one good move made by these idiots over the years.  Yet, in true ABC form, they were probably fired for being too competent.

The Dorian comparison is particularly apt as Mr. Carlivati, or as some call him "Re-Ron", or as I call him "Nimnuts", repeated a classic Tracy scene with Dorian this year.  Dorian withheld Clint's pills when he was having a heart attack and that was a major Tracy moment back in the day.  "Daddy" Edward was having a heart attack and I remember watching Tracy's face as he wriggled around on the floor. With Youtube, now you all can see it. 



Really great stuff.  I remembered that from the initial viewing and it's as good as I thought. Granted, this was all stolen from Queen of all Divas, Bette Davis in The Little Foxes, but they all worked, so, who cares.  Great broads played by great actresses playing grey characters.

That's one of the reasons I say she's a OLTL character.  Maybe she's just more of an old school GH character, but those are all gone and we still had almost all of ours.  Old GH was filled with interesting, complex characters like Monica, Lucy, Alan, Rick, Leslie, Luke, Robert, Anna, Shawn, Tiff, and so forth.  Now, Luke is a shell of what he was- even though with Tracy he was pretty interesting- but the rest are so vapid, they're sleep inducing. 

Really, it's a show filled with Ford Brothers.  It's mind-numbingly dull.  And if Todd doesn't kill that Spinelli kid, I'm going to get on a plane to LA, rent a car, break into the studio, and bitch slap Howarth.  Really.  He needs to die and I'm not interested in watching any other character on that show!! And Todd's murder scenes are so interesting.  Again, the onus is on you, Dude. You have yet to let me down....as Todd anyway.  Maybe Tracy can do it....

At any rate, I digress again. Tracy is what made OLTL great and it seems as if Nimnuts, I mean Ron, is infusing her with the right level of OLTL camp and complexity.  She's attempting to coerce Luke to kill her husband, even though she's willing to do it herself, but why should she get her hands dirty?  Now, she's being blackmailed by not one, but two men, it seems. Luke's demanding a hefty payment for the deed and, I expect, to keep his mouth shut.  That's interesting as it's not just a criminal act, but it's a criminal act that being presented in an amusing way and obviously will backfire. They won't be the ones who killed this guy but the scheming is fun to watch.

That's the point.  OLTL characters were still fun. No one besides Tracy is fun on GH.  They're boring and dark and, well, generally uninteresting.  They lack passion.  They lack depth.  And, really, they lack talent. Sorry, but the truth hurts.  This show sucks!!  The only thing interesting is the OLTL-ified elements.  By that, it's Todd and Tracy with a side dish of Luke.  The rest need to die in a tragic gardening accident. Except maybe that Alexis. I think I might like her.

But, really, kill the rest of them.  They suck!!   Maybe Irene can program Todd to go on a murder spree and blow away the whole town and he can get off with his PTSD defense. Then he can bring in all of Llanview as I hear "elements" of it may be coming soon. 

Oh, and bring back Scotty.  He was amazing.  And Lucy. And "Doc".  Resurrect Alan and have him chase Blair.  That works for me.  I'd love to see him deal with an angry, crazy Todd. Even crazy Todd is a little drab over there.  It's not great.

There you go- suggestions and now go from there.  But, really, besides Tracy, death is the only way to go.  It's that bad.  And if I have to sit through that Twit Spinelli again, it's going to get ugly.  Be careful. I'm off all summer and have a travel account..................





No comments:

Post a Comment