Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Soap Opera's Greatest Characters: The Independent Woman- Dorian Lord

I read that Robin Strasser's birthday is this week, so that got me thinking.  I'm not sure which birthday it is, nor would I ask, but I'm pretty sure both she and Dorian are ageless.  Like Marlena Dietrich, I expect her to stay out of the public eye when she is no longer able to keep up the "image".  And, also like Dietrich, she's a smart, savvy woman who knew how to survive in a world centered on devouring women whole.  But, unlike Dietrich, I'd like to think that she is not really only a well cultivated image based on careful calculation.  I'd like to think Dorian, and Strasser, are incredibly real.

I have to admit that although I understand that there's a difference between Dorian Lord and Robin Strasser, I seem to get the two confused in my mind.  I know they aren't one and the same.  However, I can't really separate them. I mean, I know that Strasser is not the original Dorian, but I can't really picture Dorian that wouldn't be played by Strasser.  I never remember seeing the original Viki or the original Blair, but I do have vague memories of other Dorians, but they aren't my Dorian.  I've even seen Strasser in other parts and I don't see Dorian.  Yet, although Robin is not bound by Dorian, Dorian is bound by Robin, I'd say, at least in my mind, as Todd is bound by Howarth and Viki by Slezak and Blair by DePaiva.  They, for all intents and purposes, have melded in my mind.

I think this is because the actors are so damn good at defining the roles.  They made their marks on them and they will remain there, no matter who else would step into the part. With other Dorians, they'd be "fake" Dorians, like TSJ was always "fake" Todd to me.  Strasser took a role and the minute she appeared, she was Dorian.  Just like that. She stepped into Dorian's shoes and that was all she wrote.  She was Dorian Lord, independent woman, diva of all who claim to be divas, and tough broad who you don't want to cross.  She'll cut a bitch!!



When I call her "independent woman", that's a term from a theorist named Richard Dyer.  Dyer wrote a wonderful piece many years ago about "star images" and how all "stars" are really marketed based on prototypes of accepted (and unaccepted) social types.  These types either reinforced the status quo or went against it.  When he refers to the "independent woman", he refers to the idea that she is one who takes what should be seen as oppressing her by the outside world and uses it to gain power.  She is alternative, as in  anti-social, as she shuns conventions put on her by patriarchal culture. She is beautiful and alluring but is also intelligent and uses her wiles to gain power, often without the knowledge of those who are being "undone", so to speak.

Dorian is a prime example of the independent woman as she always was able to gain control over men due to her beauty and her brains.  She was able to level the playing field, to some extent, like a Hepburn character or the inimitable Bette Davis (my personal favorite) onscreen or off.  She's the character that will not be bound by social convention.  She does not need a man to make her complete but she will desire them for her own pleasure- and advancement.  She's aware of who she is, why she is who she is, and she's damned proud of how she got there.  And she makes us damned proud, too, because before it was fashionable, these characters were feminists, although you'd never get them to admit it. That's also part of their definition- they refuse to be confined by labels.  Except maybe one- they're tough broads!!!

I always loved Dorian even though she was often a heartless bitch.  Well, maybe not heartless, but definitely a bitch.  Her fights with, well, everyone, were stuff of legend, but it's the rivalry with Viki and that is always acknowledged as being classic.  I think AMC tried to recreate it with Brooke and Erica, but Erica was too dumb and superficial, and they didn't dedicate themselves to it when Brooke was summarily ushered out the door.  Viki and Dorian were worthy adversaries, played by spectacular actresses, who loved playing the parts, especially together.  You can see it in every scene.





They're having a damn good time and so were we.  That's a lot of what's missing nowadays, a sense of fun in the work.  Everyone's so damn serious that they're mind-numbingly dull.  Fun left the building with OLTL, IMO.

I have to admit that I was never that much of a fan of the "motherly" Dorian, although I could appreciate it.  I preferred her scheming and plotting and sniping rather than being protective.  I did love many of her scenes with her "Cramer Women" but the ones I appreciated where when they were fighting or at odds.  That's when they were at their best, IMO.  This scene, with Blair, is one of my favorite Dorian scenes of all time.  She's hysterical, yet motherly, to some extent.  Not too much, just enough:




I love how she mocks Blair's lack of resolve and says "If this is slow, what would fast be?".  Great line.  And the way she says "You did it right there, in the stables with the horse looking on" is so sarcastic, watching her explode with anger is perfection to me. I laugh just thinking about it. It is true genius, IMO, probably because that's how I'd act with my niece.  Dorian, to me, is real.  She's not the pretty version of a tough broad. She IS a tough broad.

You see Dorian never shied away from the bad stuff. She wasn't ashamed to get down in the dirt and do what had to be done.  She'd sleep with someone, if necessary, she'd try to get Blair to, if necessary, she'd keep the medication from a man having a heart attack (Oh, Ron, that's Bette in Little Foxes, have some shame), if necessary.  But she's a physician, so she'd save his life, after she got what she wanted.  Dorian had a soft side, it was just hidden down deep most of the time.

Back in the day, they explained characters as they took their time introducing them.  They showed who Dorian was, and why, and let her evolve. Unlike now where we're supposed to instantly care for someone, back then she could be slowly shown to us so we'd understand.  We found out about Melinda and her need to be cared  for by Dorian.  She was a loving sister with responsibilities to take care of and she needed to make the best life she could for them.  If she seemed hard, it was because she had to be to survive.  And, although many would not like her, we'd respect her.  That was the point.  Dorian made her own way and no one gave her a break ever.  She was, truly, an independent woman.

The treatment of Dorian toward the end of her tenure was disappointing at best and offensive at worst.  Although blame could be placed on writers and producers, let's once not point fingers.  Let's just say this industry is often not kind to actresses of a certain age. Or characters.  But we've talked about that before.  You see characters that could not be comfortably transformed into matrons of society or matriarchs, can't really fit in the world defined by men.  Dorian wasn't Viki.  Attempting to turn her into a handwringer wouldn't work.  She's too tough.  They, instead, turned her into a caricature of herself.  The gay weddings, the over the top crap with David, the political bullshit, all moronic and not up to her stature.  Although I find her and David highly amusing, they were never treated respectfully in my mind at the end, as they should have been. It was always high camp and watchable only because the actors were so good and so likable.

So, to Strasser on her birthday, I'll say this.  Thank you for the experience of sharing yourself with the audience.  It may not be a gift to you but you were a gift to us.  When it counted, you gave the world a tough, strong broad who wasn't afraid of anyone.  Besides Lucinda Walsh, played by the fantabulous Elizabeth Hubbard, Dorian was one of a kind.  She could give as good as she got and still smile when she lost.  And she never let us see her sweat. She was, truly, an icon of the form.  So, if it makes any difference, you made your mark.  You truly are one of a kind.  And, unlike Dietrich, I think you're more than an image.  Because, damnit, I can't shake the idea that deep down, you're Dorian and she's a whole lotta Robin.  But, maybe, you're just a helluva good actress.  Either way, it's a win-win.  They only losers in this game are the young audience coming up who won't get to see what a truly tough broad is like. That's something for the ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment