Friday, September 14, 2012

Katie Couric, The City That Works, and the CTU: What Really Matters

So I see that the ratings are trickling in for The Katie Couric "I'm Massively Overpaid" Hour and she's still not beating OLTL in any way that matters as she's costing twice as much. How nice. Good for you all.  That's special. There's just one question I have-who cares?  Really, who cares?  In the grand scheme of things, does it matter at all? The answer- No.

Guess what does-


Ya see this. This is real. This is important. It's a symbol of democracy in action and the City that Works.

On Monday, over 50,000 Union Members and Supporters flooded the streets of the Chicago Loop in a show of support for the Chicago Teacher's Union.  Moving in and around the Loop, stopping traffic and blocking streets at the height of evening rush, were the striking teachers, parents, children, and members of other unions who rallied in support of the CTU- like me.  I'm a proud and active member of the NEA/IEA and I was honored to take part in this as my union rallied to their cause. It's a moment in time that shows what really matters- life, liberty, and the pursuit of justice. It was a wonderful sight.



The crowd returned and shut down LaSalle Street and the Chase Plaza on Tuesday with bands and chants of "Na, Na, Na, Hey, Hey, Good bye".  On Wednesday, they spread out to the individual schools and kept the picket lines booming.  On Thursday morning, once again they were outside the Board of Education Building with the giant, inflatable rat. Fellow union workers who built this city and keep it going to this day, honked their horns in support as anyone who is in a union knows every strike is about an issue but also about all of our rights to exist and collectively bargain.  Oh, and FUCK YOU, SCOTT WALKER!!!



The South Loop is the home of the administrative offices of the Board of the Chicago School District, so that's why it was centered there.  However, the South Loop is also the Financial District and "University Row". It's home to most major schools in the City, besides U of C, UIC, and Loyola. The rest of us reside there and it seemed to be an appropriate spot for a show of support for educators who fall victim to financial concerns. It was a wonderful time to be a union educator in this town, so built around Labor.  I couldn't have been prouder of my union status, my politics, and my city.  Not since the Obama Election Night Rally was I more proud to be a liberal Chicago native. And I've rarely been so sure it will all work out for the best.  



So, this morning, as I'm also a proud supporter of Mayor Rahm Emanuel, known to my students as "my boyfriend, Rahm" and my friends as "The One That Got Away" or "That Ugly, Adorable, Smart MOT from Wilmette", I was very pleased to hear that talks were going well and may be near a settlement.  Hopefully, when you read this on Friday, Karen Lewis, head of the CTU, and the Board have reached a compromise.  Luckily, I see no "bad guys" here- just genuine dispute.

That's the Dude- In front of his flag!
Ya see, this is real. This matters. This is about life and death and the future and respect and being responsible for the future, but also loyal to the past.  I know this is "off topic" to some extent, but it's not. It's about fighting for what's right and what matters. I keep thinking about NLG's tweet that GH fans should show ABC what the people want.  Really, Nancy, we should? Should we picket like this? Should we send a city into disarray over programming?  I don't know. I don't see it. I don't think it's important enough.

I think NLG should if it matters that much to her. Then she can tell Katie Couric to stop trying to pretend she gives a crap when she doesn't. I hear she's trying to be "relatable" and "one of us".  Guess what, Toots, you're not! And you don't want to be...or you would.  You don't try to make something of yourself in the face of unbeatable odds for little to no compensation or respect. You don't sacrifice for a job you love that actually matters as you have an impact on the world. You get paid a lot of money to look cute and pretend to be a journalist.  In other words, you're irrelevant.


Look, I think cultural texts are important and do mean something. But I think Katie's bullshit show with Heidi Fucking Klum and her new boyfriend doesn't mean squat. I don't care who the multi-millionare model is fucking now that she dumped Seal.  I care about the teacher making $50,000, if she's lucky, and dealing with kids who have no parental support and she's being told her job is on the line because that kid can't take a standardized test and get acceptable numbers. I care about that, Katie, not a woman with a flesh eating disease.



Get a grip, Honey. If you want Oprah numbers, then get down in the dirt and live with the real people. We liked soap operas because they weren't real. They were silly and fun and not supposed to be getting to the heart of who were are as a nation. It's called entertainment.

Look, ABC, you want to give us information?  Then do it.  Don't pay that insipid Twit God knows how much to condescend to us.  Give us info we can use.  And then get your ass to Chicago and any other place that really matters. And go talk to a teacher walking the picket line with a kid walking beside her, asking the Board to treat them both better.


That's what matters. Not Barbara Fucking Streisand.  Now, give Frank her money and get back to the escapist shit. This crap is embarrassing.  And it's about as real as Llanview...but I think Llanview was a helluva lot more fun.

And Viki was someone who gave a shit.  I MISS VIKI!!!She'd walk the picket line.....


She was one of the people....................Oh, and support your public and private unions everywhere.  They support you.

2 comments:

  1. Well said Addison! You are so right about Teachers are the KEY to our future. They are paid poorly and not appreciated enough. I also believe Unions are a MUST with so many Companies going as a At Will Company. If so much as a whisper of a Union is uttered Ur on the chopping block and that keeps people scared. People should realize there is strength in numbers and THAT is what scares companies. Our parents, grandparents great grandparents knew this but my generation known as generation X have come so complacent and think there is nothing left to stand together for or simply don't care when we are so very wrong like this movement in Chicago. Wonderful to see that and very powerful and important issue that has to be addressed. But as social media shows like Katie think that I want to be told by a so called celeb how she lost weight. A plan that is not only unrealistic or not feisible to me (the regular joe) she has a cook , a personal trainer, and John Q public on her I do not. So not interested but many are and as I type this to You I realize I keep wanting to type it like a phone text and forget how to spell corectly. Which reflects my mind set and may others of quick fast and in a hurry get it done don't want to be bothered and THAT is a PROBLEM. Education is the FUTURE and Teachers are the KEY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the best, shankol!! People don't get that without unions, people would still be working in sweatshops making $1/hour. Maybe some of them do play rough and get a lot of fringe benefits, but without them people without power are doomed. But, then again, some don't care!!

      I'm so happy that the crap law in Wisconsin was struck down and I know it will make it to the Supreme Court and be thrown out. It's Unconstitutional!!

      And if teachers are just babysitters, they'd be more well paid!

      Delete