Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Real Loss: ABC's PR Disaster- Valentini's Folly

I saw this post on Daytime Dish as I lurked around this morning and found it to be indicative of a lot:

To be fair, the show is a mess and Craptini haven't seemed to much know or care it's GH's anniversary when there are Livers to fight over and newbie pets to prop. 

I'd give credit to the poster but it was anonymous. But, here's to you, Anon, it's clear, concise, and seems to speak for many.  Although some are very pleased with the Anniversary episode, let's be real. This is one of their stunts. It won't last.

Okay, you all know that I am not currently a fan of GH. I haven't liked it since the 1990's, but I was a huge fan in the Robert/Holly/Frisco/Felicia/Anna/Sean/Tiff/Luke days. When they brought on Carly and had Jason's personality "shift", I was out. I initially loved Ned/Lois/Sonny/Brenda, but when Brenda planted that bug on Sonny and they had all that Lilly shit, I was really done. Moved on, never looked back.

But as a fan of the form and as a fan of fans, I think it's truly ridiculous that this Anniversary is being overshadowed by the BTS machinations of three actors  who have been around about a year. I can't even believe that the producer of this alleged show is wasting his time and energy addressing contractual obligations in the week before this major event. I see a lot of press about GH but where's the Producer's attention until the last minute? On his old show and his former employees.

Get over it, Frank, you have a show!  Remember? It needs your attention and dedication because if you don't work on that, it's doomed.  And the numbers this past week show it.  Over the past 12 weeks, net viewership has fallen somewhere between 300,000- 450,000 and the ratings have slipped from 2.1 to 1.9 rating.

Good job, Frank, spiral downward while the possibility of cancellation gets more and more real. That's the way to keep this show on the air. Obsess over something very few care about and neglect what they do. Keep it up, Buddy. That will get you just what you deserve- out of a job.

I know I like to snark and laugh and such, but it is insane that they're even talking about the jobs of three OLTL actors one week before this massive moment for this show. And, I have to admit, I've never had so much interest in my little vanity project as I did last week. It's nuts. People are so distracted when they should be talking about this huge event.  Good job, Frank, sink your own PR event with your megalomaniac rantings to Logan in TV Guide. Nice work. How about waiting until AFTER this big deal to spill your anger to the press?  You're only reinforcing what many fans already know- you're not interested in their show but rather your own agenda. It's about you, Frank, and not them.

It's shocking really. We all know GH is in trouble. I don't for one minute believe it's even close to "safe". That's my opinion but I think it's pretty clear there's limited time here. If you want the time, Dude, shut the hell up about your iddle, widdle actors and start promoting the show you've got. If this Anniversary tanks, I think you're dead. And if you are, it's all on you, Buddy. You won't be the savior of soaps any more. You'll be the loser who helped sink GH because he couldn't let go of OLTL.

PR is about building an image or generating interest or excitement. GH's image is now the place that is involved in turmoil, fear, and oppression. There are fans that are pleased but there has been a lot of discontent. I don't think Vanessa Marcel's comment about you being an "alpha male" this past week helped much. Saying people would be fired if they didn't behave accordingly makes you seem even more remote and uncaring. It gives the impression that the GH actors fear for their jobs and you're more interested in making space for actors who maybe don't want to be there anymore. Is it maybe NOT big, bad PP making actors leave but rather big, bad Frank making certain actors stay? Think about it. Just sayin'......Some people don't seem to be running back to you, Frank, or jumping on your new character bandwagon. Guess why? Unlike the spin you've attempted to put on PP, it seems you could be the bully. Are you? Are you trying to force actors to NOT move on? Are you bringing the hammer down on the actors you have?

Back it up, Buddy, this is not working well for you. You don't look like the victim. You look like the aggressor who can't appreciate what he's got.  By the way, would it be so hard to wish your former show well?  Now that just looks bad. You look bitter and it's not a good look on you.

What could be more fitting than this piece of Twitter Gold from Nimnuts on Monday morning, right after the dismal ratings were released: "Don't ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for General Hospital." Are you kidding me? Really, Dumbass? Do you know what that quote is about? Death. I know, you meant it for the bell ringing at the Stock Exchange, but come on. Talk about self-fulfilling prophecies. Put a cork in this guy. And the picture of him with his computer and a bottle of Vodka isn't good either. It gets tongues wagging. We're soap fans. We love to speculate. Don't give us more to think about. Give us less!!

Really, ABC, bring the hammer down on these guys. Let Geary and Shriner and Elliot be your voices. They had a great article in TV Guide. Give those three their own show, with Lucy and Doc, and I'm in. They're fun as hell. I'd watch their show everyday.




2 comments:

  1. Yes, let Geary, Elliot and Shriner be their mouth pieces indeed--I adore those three people. I laughed at your observation about how oblivious Ron was when he made that "for whom the bell tolls" comment. I think he could be a worthy competitor with Tobias from Arrested Development for the Freudian Slip of the Year award. He should also be aware of the John Donne line which states that "No man is an island." No SOAP is an island! Both Ron and Frank should be hoping for the success of OLTL and AMC on Prospect Park with the realization that GH may join them in the future.
    I still watch GH, and I thought yesterday's anniversary show was like a bad acid trip. As my friend said,"It was like that bar scene from Star Wars." I understand Ron wants to pack in as many veterans into each scene as possible, but putting Alan, Rick (who looked like an elderly Abraham Lincoln) and that insipid Emily(thank God she's still dead) all into one room with nary an explanation was just freaky. The smell of formaldehyde was palpable. But apparently, I am in the minority as everybody else seemed to love that scene. You know that scene from Bye Bye Birdie in which the ballet dancers are dancing in fast motion? I can't help but feel that Ron is making their players dance The Swan Song in fast motion before the curtain falls.

    PS. Yesterday Carly was speaking of her past relationship with the T word and they actually dubbed out T's name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, I love Bye Bye Birdie. "KIDS" is a classic moment. Paul Lynde was insanely funny. I even loved his Uncle Arthur on Bewitched. And, I have to admit, I love the soundtrack to BBB. I used to play it on my parent's huge cabinet style hi-fi when I was little and dance and sing when no one was around.

      I heard about the dubbing thing but then heard it may not have been the case. What I do know, and have known for a while, is that even the names can't be spoken. Doesn't bode well for a return, huh? Legally, PP is holding those rights tight and I don't think there's a chance at least one of the actors will be returning. Guess who?

      Delete