Monday, April 29, 2013

Was It Real or a Dream? OMG, It's The Second Coming

I hope I don't offend the Christians. I'm not one, so it's just a cute turn of a phrase to me.  If it pisses you off, I apologize. But, it's fitting.

You know, there's only certain things you can depend on in life. You've all heard that. The old joke then goes "death and taxes". It's corny but the point is that there's no stability really. Nothing can be relied upon to stay the same. All things must change or end. And, equally as trite, is the idea that life is like a shark. It has to keep moving or die.

I've thought this for quite a while and lived it for over five years now. I've watched huge, important pieces of my life fall by the wayside and I often feel as if I'm wandering alone in some strange land that I not only don't recognize, but don't like either. It's a strange feeling. You realize that there is little to hold onto, as it will be gone soon or didn't really exist at all.

But today, that changed. Strange as it sounds, something came back. And it looked as good and sounded as good and, dammit,  felt as good.  I can't believe I watched new episodes of AMC and OLTL today. It was bizarre but wonderful. And I couldn't be happier for the cast, the crew, the fans, and, of course, myself. Man, I need it. At this point, familiar faces who act as they should is so rare, I'm grateful for what I can get! If they have to be on TV, that's okay for now. At least there's that.

Okay, there were a lot of strangers on AMC. I admit it. There were faces I don't know. I'm not sure I even care but I don't mind. I'll take it. I loved seeing Jesse and Angie and David. Hello, it's David!! And, be still my heart, Adam and Brooke. How cool is that? Adam Fucking Chandler finally gets his best wife back. It's about time and just seeing David Canary's face is enough. But seeing him look at Julia Barr makes it even better. And she's holding the book.......the book. I loved that. And it was so needed. AMC is the sentimental favorite where I stand. I need the shoutouts.

I have to admit that I missed Tad. A lot. I missed my Martins and I need to see them STAT! But, I'm patient. I can wait. I've looked at MEK's face as Tad Martin since Junior High and I need to see that again and regular- and I mean it. I said I'll wait....but I don't like it. Dixie's fine as a place holder and we know he's in the bed in the coma, but Tad is key and without him, I don't need her. Sorry. Cady McClain is great but I'm biased and I admit it. I need to see Dr. Joe and Tad. And RPG's Jake and Tad. And Jesse and Tad. And David and Tad.....I guess I should stop now.

I'll just say this. I loved this show and am so happy with it. But I need Tad. Can you guess that? Erica can stay gone forever. But Tad...yeah. I needs me some of that.

OMG, OLTL.  Pause......

OMG OMG OMG!!

OLTL without Nimnuts?? It's a revelation. It was so fucking good!! OMG.  Can I say that again? OMG!! Really good.

First, hello, it's Viki and her GILF, Clint. And it's Llanfair! It's really Llanfair!!! I can't even believe it. It's the same...essentially. But it's there and she's Viki and he's hot Clint and it's all kinds of fabulous. The best thing about the whole show is that it's the same, but better. I don't even mind the kids. I like Nu-Matthew. I can deal with DanYeller as she's a fucked up mess, so slutty, druggy, Screech works for me.

And Bo.... Can I stop and just say Thank God there's still one BO left!! We really need him. He's so wonderful, you want to hug him and not let go. But Nora would make you. And she's still Nora. PLEASE let her rip into Todd- just once. I would pay for that....and I think I kind of am with Hulu Plus. And I'm happy to do it. But, please, one time. That's the best.

Oh, and Todd and David? Nothing better but I'm David's bitch. I love that guy- Tuc and David- and Dorian? Well, there's no comparison to Le Strasser. No comment needed there. So fun and fabulous and had be in stitches.  And NIGEL!! The fierce, man-eating Nigel. What a treat.

And, as usual, the dysfunctional duo from hell, Todd and Blair, were wonderful and angsty. I think Howarth has been deloused as he was Todd again.  Surly, obnoxious, rude, and a bull in a china shop mentality. His entrance into the club was a classic Todd move. "Fuck You, I'm rich and I know no one wants me here but I'm going in anyway".   Yeah, Todd!!! Shecky McManning or Eddie Haskell seem to be left in the dust. I have visions of KDP and ES searching for gnits in his hair and then spraying him down to get the stink of the loser that was GH off him. I know he goes back but Todd stays, so have fun, Dude. I'm sure you'll be back soon but as long as Todd is not going with you, it's not my concern

I'm fine with a show that's more balanced for a while. I have some Todd fatigue and there's enough talent here to keep it fresh. Hopefully even after he's back, they won't turn it into the Todd Show again. It's so much better when it's not. As we've learned, Todd on his own ain't all that. He needs the others.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but here goes:

I was happy to see Victor.

Yeah, I said it. What about it? I'm a legendary hypocrit. But can you be a hypocrit if you admit it? Not sure but, really, who cares. But, I digress.

I was so pleased to see TSJ. I'm realistic. As long as he ain't Todd, I'm fine with him. He and Tea can rock the house down with S&M scenes and he can take care of DanYeller the Whore. Fine with me.

But what I love more than anything is seeing all the Carlivati crap gone. The Two Todds has become like Viet Nam- a quagmire that killed too many good people for nothing we can quantify and ends with a thud, not a bang.  Well, except for each Todd banging their respective wives. I guess that counts. And let that countdown begin because, you know, it's coming....excuse the pun. But, like Viet Nam, we're left wondering what the point was and will be glad to put it on our past and move forward.

Like McNamara, Nimnuts can spend his life trying to justify his failure. It's unfortunate that in both instances, what started out with some of the best intentions deteriorated into what it became. A travesty. Viet Nam for the country and the world. The Two Todds for the show. It represents what went wrong. Ill conceived plots, bad writing, stupid twists, moronic characters, and so much more. That's what killed soaps. And it's over. Thank God. It's unfortunate that GH is the new Viet Nam, but maybe that will be spared soon, as well, and they'll cancel the beast. Give it to PP and I swear, the Gruesome Twosome will be nowhere in sight.

So, I'm so pleased. I'm giddy and satisfied and will happily watch every episode- many times. I've watched them twice so far-once on my own, once in the nursing home with my mother and aunt. And, who knows, it's early and I have film lab later....you never know.

PP seems to be listening to my father, the siding salesman in Chicago. You see, when you make a quality product, it can still be sold to the old buyers and you can cultivate new ones. You have that client base, so use that and then work on new leads and show them the goods.  And that's what these shows have become. They're shined up and refreshed, but they're still what they were.  Quality characters played by actors who have talent. This time, they have something to work with and that's even better. And, I have no doubt that they'll be there tomorrow. And next week. And next year.

I have to admit that I cried a little bit- not for the characters, but for myself. For that one moment, it was nice to have some constant back in an ever spiraling life. It gave me hope that there's a new normal on the way that won't be the same, exactly, but it will be familiar enough to be comforting. And feel enough like home to make up the loss of what can no longer be.

Just one thing. We're a little Martin-lite. And a day without Tad is just not quite as bright. The sky lit up as if there were fireworks today yet there was a shadow. But it won't be long. Tad always comes home. He has to because, in reality, is there anywhere else to be? Like me, Tad's been wandering, trying to get back. And, maybe by the time I get there, he will, too.

And it will all seem like a bad dream. "Was it real?" we can ask. Maybe but, know what, it's about over. And maybe soon, we can all rest easy for a while. Could be we'll find out home is not where you are, but who is waiting when you arrive.



10 comments:

  1. Standing ovation for the shows, and for this blog. Your humor, anger, outrage over the shennaigans at play carried me through more than a few times... and you consistently keep me coming back for more of your Dewitt! Happy hula dancing leaping jumping for sheer joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you're consistently the best. Just was informed that OLTL is #3 on Itunes, with AMC #1. Mad Men in between them. Not too shabby! So fun.

      Delete
  2. D, I am so overwhelmed. Watched OLTL and just began AMC. It feels like a wonderful dream! I am so choked up right now. OLTL was magical. I love what you wrote. It's very touching, the way you expressed yourself. I can't wait to finish AMC! Brooke and Adam. Nora and Bo. Natalie and Viki looked gorgeous. Is this really REAL?!!!! I think your Vietnam analogy is appropriate. The president said: "Our long national nightmare is over." That's how I feel now that our shows are back!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, I just emailed you!! Mare and Care slept through the shows. No interest at the nursing home. Did you see the NYT article yesterday? PP owns GH when it's canned....guess when that will be. I'd say Wednesday.

      This is going through the roof!!

      Delete
  3. I don't think I'll be able to keep the vision of ES and KDP delousing Todd out of my head.
    I absolutely enjoy both shows immensely. Only found myself giving pause a few times, but nothing that ruined the fun I had watching. I am so looking forward to reading your blog as the show goes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa. It's a nasty chore, but I think those two broads were up to it!!

      Delete
  4. Addison,

    Yes, Virginia, miracles DO happen. There IS a Santa Claus and his real name is Jeff Kwatinetz. Those AMC and OLTL premieres make JK and Rich Frank look like a modern Goldwyn and Mayer.

    I did not find all the new faces on AMC that jarring. I was delighted to see Opal, Dixie, Jesse and Angie, the dastardly David Hayward, and OMG, Adam and Brooke! What an awesome couple. But I thought AMC did a great job casting the SORASed kids. Miranda looked a lot like Bianca, I thought that AJ looked like he could be JR's son and Peter! OMG! He DOES look like a young version of Palmer Cortlandt's James Mitchell.

    Even though the AMC sets look a LOT different from what I remembered, they still exude very much of a Pine Valley "feel" to them. I felt like I had come home after a many years' absence.

    Now, for OLTL! I loved how the show opened with Viki and Clint. SIGH. And I was impressed with the direction AND KM and Florencia Lozano's acting during the Nursery Mourning Scene. I thought FL, Melissa Archer, AND KDP did an awesome job of portraying Women in Pain But Trying To Pick Up The Pieces of Their Shattered Lives. Their sadness was very relatable to any woman at a crossroads.

    I loved how, in ONLY ONE EPISODE, PP managed to exorcise Roger Howarth of GH's Dippy the Goof so that they could resurrect the feral Alpha Wolf back into Todd Manning. No WONDER FrankenRon are so pissed. No, assholes, you MAY have swiped the ingredients from OLTL, but you do NOT know how to put them together.

    I was not surprised, but I was even happy to see TSJ back on the cliffhanger, though by the end of his run I could not call myself a fan of his. I have heard rumblings that TSJ may stay with PP. Meh. He doesn't do much for me, but I'm happy for the TnV fans.

    I confess that I'm intrigued by how PP will wrap up RC's Two Todds Side Show. I hope PP's writers remember their promise to shy away from outlandish Soap Opera plots and get around to filling in all of RC's plot holes. Like, take into account the big differences in RH and TSJ's builds and bone structures and drop the idea of identical twins. SORYS Victor and make his DOB after Irene faked cancer to dump Tina on Viki.

    Hopefully, after they wrap up the Two Todds Shtick, they can SORAS Jack with a great actor a year or two older than KM and restore his natural birth order. I am also hoping they can recast Starr with an older actress who can recapture those interesting gritty aspects of Starr which so captivated us when she was younger.

    All I can say is that OLTL did a fabulous job with the tiny cast they did have. I hope they bring back a fully integrated Jessica played by someone who can capture the best of Erin Torpey's sweetness and BW's Tess incarnation (before it became a parody). I'd love to see Dorian's daughter, Adriana "Bitchy Bangs" Cramer to pick up the Cramer Woman slack and raise havoc with Viki's daughters.

    Speaking of which, I loved how gleeful Viki was to get the goods on Senator Dorian Lord Vickers and how Dorian was happy to rumble with her old nemesis, Vicki again. It was so heart-warming to see how under all the bitchy barbs their characters threw at each other, the mutual affection and respect Robin Strasser and Erika Slezak hold each for each other.

    Awesome show! I can't wait for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because love is in the air, and I'm still basking in the aftermath of the awesomeness of the return of All My Children and One Life to Live, I thought I'd just take a moment here and lay claim to a new boyfriend. I've seen some of your boyfriends, Addi, some of them that I thought belonged to me. Only belonged to me and all this time... Well. Well so. Well I'm just saying here now -- Jeff Kwatinez -- mine.
    How do I love him? Let me count the ways.
    1. He's got a big nose. I am excessively fond of a big nose. Vincent(s) Price and Irizarry, our very own George Sanders, maybe because it makes mine look smaller.... I love a big nose.
    2. His big Wik. Run your fingers up and down his big wikipedia and it is almost full to bursting with stuff. Oh he is talented and smart in the sack, umm, and when he whips out his Harvard Law School degree talk about playing Doctor! Ooo la la.
    3. He Loves Life and Children and gives great gifts.
    4. Wait. I am telling you all this, why? Am I crazy? You will want him all for yourself if I keep telling you about all his fabulousness, his big Kolbasa but I just can't keep quiet about my new crush I find him so dreamy. I luv him. I deeply esteem him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may want Thom Racina for a boyfriend too after today's OLTL The Smoking Gun and Huffington Post referenced in Banner banter today. Too hip, too cool. I relish this.

      Delete
    2. I can't keep track of all my boyfriends, so I gladly leave them to you!!

      You deserve all that and more.

      Delete