Tuesday, May 14, 2013

How To Ruin A Soap in One Year: The Craptini Method

Listen, my children, and you shall hear the tale I've been told only took a year. It's about obsession and hubris and a lack of respect. It's about dumbass twats and the destruction they've left. Okay, that's about as good as I get at rhyming and crap poetry. But, hey, what can you do? It's fun. Doctor Seus for the evil set of daytime fans.

So, here's my list. How to Ruin a Show in One Year, The Craptini Method:

1) Make Your Leading Man Look Like a Doofus:

Look at this:


Too Late for Delousing
WTH did they do to Easton? He has never looked so bad. He seems happy but I've never seen him look like a complete dweeb....until now. Isn't he supposed to be the sexy one? Isn't he the one who is supposed to be sexing up the Aging Playmate, Monaco? What happened there? He looks like Beeker from The Muppet Show or the other scientist. Or Jerry Lewis from The Nutty Professor. Whatever it is, I ain't got no time for that!!

Is this part of the master plan to disguise him as NOT John McBain? Or is there more going on? Is this part of rerunning every story with brief tweeks? Is he now the "special" McBain? Oh, wait, that's Dieter. Which leads to the next point:

2) Try to Use Actors Who Seem to Have Split Loyalty:


Badly Needs Delousing
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! I hear he doesn't even know his own name. That seems fitting as I also hear Howarth's doing his patented "slow" version of Todd- meaning Special Needs Victor- for Dieter. That's nice...only not. I guess even the actor knows this is retarded so he decided to play it that way.

PPSSST- Craptini, Howarth's screwing you!!!! Everyone sees it but you. He's taking your money and doing shit work and then he's being spectacular on the show you tried to kill and it's airing AT THE SAME TIME!!! You morons. That makes your show look like Saved By the Bell....or Mad TV's  version of a soap. Not only is he great there everyday playing the quintessential version of the character that made him popular but I hear he will be going back not just once but over and over and over and you see where this is going? He's showing the audience how bad your show is and selling his. That's not very loyal, huh? But you keep your Big Fish. You know, they often bite the hand that feeds them. And with this new look, he does look like a shark.

3) Feature Actresses Your Audience Hates:


Delousing Required ASAP But May Not Be Possible Anymore
This is a nobrainer. If you want to ruin a show, you should just make the focal point a young actress with limited ability who everyone that watches your show thinks is horrible. They hate her. Like, really hate her. The names are so mean, even I won't say them. But if you care about this kid, you'll usher her off. They hate her....like a lot....like seriously.

And she's not very good. Her whole fanbase now is about 90 people, it seems, at least those who are on twitter. That's all she got interested in "trending" her magnificent return. It was kind of sad. Not only wasn't anyone interested in helping her promote, they hated her return and wish the worst on her. The old fans turned out to be fans of her onscreen parents, I think, or consider her a traitor now. I don't. But I only report the facts. And thems the facts. Ms. Thang may have seen her day.  I can't give this advice enough- a good liberal arts education is needed here. She needs a class in logic STAT!

But, I digress. I can't help trying to help. It's the teacher in me.

At any rate, only about 90 people RT'd her request to shout out the excitement. That's sad. I have to admit that's a slow day for me here at Addison and I'm a nobody.  Sorry, Ms. Thang, it don't look good for you. Beg, plead, do what you have to do, but get your ass back to Connecticut. And get in line to be deloused right after Howarth. He'll be easier this time. His hair is gone. Maybe you should look into surgical methods.

But, maybe you still have a chance. Just be careful- there's danger ahead. What's that sucking I hear? Oh, it's your career heading down the drain.

4) Give the People Nothing of What They Want:

Claim you'll feature Vets and old stories people want. Announce you're bringing back Vets for said storylines. Then, when they appear, make them unrecognizable, backburner them, destroy them, and then usher them off in disgrace.That's a winning formula for destruction. You don't have time for the stars of this show. You need to focus on stars of other shows and try to recreate them. That's the idea. Shit on what you have while you try to get back what you lost. That's normal.......only not.

5) Focus Your Show on A Condiment as Opposed to Real Stories:

What else can be said about this? If you want to ruin a show, this is how to do it. Remember the great Ketchup storyline on AMC? Or the fabulous Salsa days event on DOOL? You don't? Know why? Because they didn't exist!!! Because they're stupid.

I do remember a pie making contest on OLTL when it's network days were running out. Guess who wrote that crap? I'll clue you in- NIMNUTS!! He seems to be obsessed with food themes on shows. Maybe he should eat more and leave the food out of the scripts. I love how my funny recapper is calling Dieter "Mustard Man"!! Now that's clever. Pay attention, Nimnuts. That's smart snark as opposed to having an intern near Dieter named Todd. That's stupid and petty and shows how bitter you are.

But I digress.

So Dieter- or Special Needs Franco as I'm seeing him be called, SNF for short- is a "condiment saboteur" as my recapper says. WOW!! High drama. I can't believe I missed that action on the same day Victor tried to kill Todd again by pulling some creepy Ninja move and Todd went down-in a nonsexual way- and Jack found him. I can't believe I was watching that psycho brotherly drama when I could have been watching Slow Franco spike the relish and make that cow, Mario Batalli, vomit. I'm so sorry I missed it...only not.

How could I have been riveted to the sibling rivalry going off the rails and the re-emergence of the father/son relationship as Todd lays lifeless on the ground when I could have been watched SNF spike the relish? How could I be interested in watching Victor  admit he tried to poison Todd as Todd gasps for air and then Victor strangles him, leaves him for dead, and tells him to burn in Hell? I could be watching talk show hosts vomit due to the Mustard Man's misdeeds. I must be stupid.

The fascination with this crap is brilliant. It's by far the best way I've ever seen anyone tank a show. And it works so quickly. Especially when you add it to this slick move:

6) Have as Special Guests the Cast of the Show That Tanked the Form You Allegedly Want to Save:

Oh, God, need I explain? Soap fans hate The Chew, in general. And you're using them for sweeps? What?

And no one is more nauseating physically than Mario Batalli. He's fat and sweaty and orange and everything that's NOT sexy. Oh, but that's the idea. You made your appealing leading men really icky, too. See above. Dieter is icky.  Whoever the other guy is is icky. They didn't look too bad before. Howarth still looks okay as Todd. I guess this is the new strategy. Ugly people all the time. Turn off the audience and give them bad stories. I get it. Here's more evidence of that:


Delousing No Longer an Option


and this:

7) Become an Object of Fun for Those You Tried to Destroy Who are Kicking Your Ass:

This was RT'd by the official OLTL Twitter account and actors:

imasoapfan ‏@imasoapfan 2h  Symptoms of arsenic poisoning: blondening of hair, red shoelaces, becoming a relish poisoner. #OLTL #GH


Now that's bad. Really bad. It means they're laughing at how bad your show is and the audience and actors are joining in. That means you're the loser....get it?

But if you really want to tank your show, this is the best way:

8) Let the Writer with the Attitude Problem Respond to the Audience:

I never thought that Nimnuts could outdo his notorious tweet to the OLTL fan that started all the fun. This was when the fan was complaining and he responded thusly:  "Maybe this show isn't for you".  Allrighty then. I guess not. But, ya know what, no audience, no show.


It seems that no one thinks this show is for them. It's universally hated.  And, I guess, it's getting under Nimnut's thin skin. I saw this today:

Steve Eaves ‏@DaNkInator 47m
@carlivatiron You deserve mad props for making #GH completely unwatchable during May sweeps. What is this garbage

Ron Carlivati Ron Carlivati รข€@carlivatiron 2h
@DaNkInator Get a life, Steve. 

OMG, someone get him off the computer. If he wants Steve to get a life, I'm sure he will. You're pushing him to it. And if Steve gets a life, he'll be too busy to watch your stupid show. Again, logic, Dumbass- no viewers, no show, no job, no money, no life for you.

I predict Steve will get a life. A good one. It might be "One Life" and he'll live it. On Hulu. If I knew who Steve was, I'd tell him myself. But if any of you do, give him the message from me. I don't tweet. I'm a twat who knows better. Unlike Nimnuts.








17 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHA GREAT LOVE IT!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am in love with this post!
    I just keep shaking my head. I see what going on because of twitter and I just can't fathom what in hell they are thinking. They both must want to be fired or sink the show. Those are the only two logical reasons for that wreck of a show called General Hospital.
    But I disagree about one thing. I don't want KA back, ever! I hated her version of Starr by the end of the show. Starr should be smart, feisty, and a HUGE bitch. Starr was none of those things, some was writing, but a lot of it was her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Melissa. I have no clue what they're thinking. I have seen people thinking it's mental illness or intentionally tanking it. Whatever it is, it would be sad if it weren't so funny! I just feel for the fans. Yet I think they let go long ago.

      Delete
  3. That is too funny. I stopped trying to watch GH soon as they had Blair announce her engagement to Tomas. Only kept up with Weekly summaries until Todd hooked up with Carly. GH has become just too stupid to watch. On the case of OLTL, Love having Todd back but hating how Todd is the bad guy and Victor the victim/avenging evil angel. Todd was held hostage and tortured for eight years and Victor only missing for one year, a year where Todd's family abandoned him and he went on trial for a murder he never did. "Todd" was the victim and he needs to get pissed that no one is remembering that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One small thing: Todd did attempt to murder Victor, but he didn't die. So he did commit a crime. Victor attempted to murder Todd now which is another crime.

      I think the writing for both characters have been pretty even handed and reasonable actually. Todd skipped town abandoning everyone, instead of sticking it out amidst everyone's reasonable anger (they thought he killed Victor and that he was lying to them all that time). Then he became an unrecognizable OOC mess on GH. If people are reticent with him as opposed to Victor who just came back from the dead, that makes sense. Todd came back from PC to where he skipped off and where he was participating in baby switches that affected the family, so the difference in reaction to Victor and Todd's returns to Llanview works in context. However, I think things are about to shift for Todd in terms of him being reintegrated back into the family. Jack finding him and holding his hand was a huge indicator of what's to come for him. I'm into it.

      I think once the cops figure out that Victor was going to poison Todd, there will be a flip/realization/sympathy for Todd. Neither brother is a good man and they're not being framed that way. If Todd's being portrayed as the bad guy, why is he being shown as the mature one (more mature than he's been in forever) and being selfless enough to go to Victor for the sake of the kids, for Jack's sake? Todd's being shown as a man really trying to be selfless in terms of putting what the kids want ahead of himself, even if that hurts him. OTOH, Victor's been pretty PTSD, and pretty distant from everyone, including the kids. He had to be talked into saying goodbye to the kids, even. They're both being portrayed as grey characters IMO.

      But either way, I don't mind Todd working his way back into his family's good graces. Idgaf about Victor and how he gets treated. I care about Todd as a character and tbqh, a character who gets everything easily handed to them by narrative imperative isn't worth much; a character like that isn't as compelling as one who has to work and fight to win back people's trust etc.

      The one thing I agree with you about is if they ever bring up imprisonment. I'm a little bit lenient bc I think Todd's imprisonment issues should have been addressed two years ago when the arc actually happened so I won't blame the PP writers if they don't go back to that. But if there is great sympathy for Vic's imprisonment, I think it's perfectly valid for mentions of Todd's imprisonment too and I would expect the writing to call out the fact that Todd was imprisoned for 8 years.

      Delete
  4. I Love this thanks!!!!!! It makes my day when I hear and see how much people hate these new characters. These new looks that Roger, Michael, Kristen have are just too hideous for words especially roger I can't even believe that he would agree to do this. I really feel sorry for the GH vets who are put on the back burner for this crap and I do mean CRAP!!! This show is going down FAST this is the reason I can't watch. I am so HAPPY to have OLTL back and best of all I can see Todd being Todd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has to be one of the most surreal things I've ever seen on TV. The sheer idiocy and unabashed contempt for the audience on display is brain-curdling. A show perceived as a soap killer is incorporated into a soap, and the replacement show is shown ultimately to be an exercise in stupidity and ugliness, complete with vomit particles on show's host. Whose clogs match the hair color of one of three "new" characters played by former actors, all of whom reappear on the same day. Replacement show hosts are poisoned in an ironic revenge fantasy for soap fans. And orange-haired boy lurks while an extra calls out "Todd," who ends up being another Todd who doesn't matter. All of this being another amateurish fling of the index finger to a company that had the audacity to demand its legal rights. This fight is about sour grapes, not sour cucumbers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Addison - thank you for providing this forum for outraged soap fans. I am sickened by the garbage on GH and have finally stopped watching after being assaulted with pickle vomit yesterday. I am completely at a loss to understand why Craptini thinks we want to see those hideous hosts at all, never mind having them puking their guts out for an hour. Just horrendous. That was it for me. Up to that point, I was morbidly fascinated with the character switcheroo and was pleasantly revolted by the "Doofus" factor! We knew they couldn't pull it off and I felt vindicated when I saw the unveiling of the new characters. The contrast between OLTL Todd and Red-Shoe Putz just puts the exclamation point on the whole farce. I'm just happy to have the real OLTL back and will not pay any mind to the doofus behind the curtain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Irish Lassie. I love the "Red Shoe Putz" comment! However, it seems the anger is all over. I'm actually a little surprised by the magnitude. But I love it! They deserve it.

      Delete
  7. Another brilliantly orchestrated rant--thank you for itemizing what they are doing systematically to destroy GH--I was losing count. It's like they concentrated so hard on grasping the 3 brass rings, that they did not think of what to do once they grasped those rings. I picture Ron and Frank wearing the same expression as Ben at the end of The graduate when he finally gets Elaine or the look on The Heartbreak Kid's face when he finally gets the golden girl of his dreams, Cybil Shepard. The expressions suggest 'What now?'
    Now I hate to get serious on you and allow me to preface that I am not one to adhere to political correctness nor am I one to be thin skinned. I don't like the word retard being used as an insult. I realize it has become common place and comics do it all the time, but as a lover of language, surely you can come up with a better word to describe the stupidity of Ron, Frank and ABC? The people I know with learning disabilities are the nicest, least judgmental and accepting people I know. In short, they are the finest people I know. There are people meditating, praying and reading all kinds of self help book just to try and attain that sense of being in the present, loving unconditionally and attaining inner peace. No one chooses to be disabled anymore than anyone chooses the color of their skin or their sexual orientation. R word insults, short bus cracks, hurt me to the core. Maybe I am too sensitive, I don't know. And Ron and Frank merge greediness, grouchiness and petulance into their stupidity so it's an insult to special (I hate that word) everywhere to be compared to those idiotic rat bastards, You know I adore you through your blogs and because I think so highly of you, I feel compelled to speak the truth of how I feel.
    This is from Harry Lime, Nikolas or 342234455--whatever name Goggle allows me to use.

    PS> I love that KA threw a Twitter party for herself and
    nobody showed up. How Peter Brady of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I upset you. I think it's a silly, grade school word but I do know words can have power all their own. I'll watch it from now on.

      Delete
  8. 1) Make Your Leading Man Look Like A Doofus >>>

    Hahaha, right! And name him Silas. Silas in his sillyass specs, with his sillyass ponytail, and (as one friend speculates) some sillyass teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is not two men trying to save the show they were hired to produce/write. This is two idiots throwing a temper tantrum over a show that they believe fired them. One would think that they would understand that they were initially tapped, but the funding was not available and they were lucky enough to land another gig. But, they don't see it that way! Could there be a reason for this perception? Maybe, or why else are they carrying on like two outraged twits?

    And it's ridiculous how much effort they are putting in to hold onto these actors when it would be a no-brainer to simply write them out for good from GH and cast actors who the GH viewers would like to fulfill the function meant for the OLTL 3.

    Again, John McBain's function could just as easily be served by Antonio Sabato as Jagger Cates. He even has ties to Emma, because his late brother, Stone, was Robin's first love.

    Serena Baldwin (Carly Schroeder) could be Michael or Morgan's new love interest.

    Gerald Hopkins (the guy who played AJ Quartermaine before Sean Kanan) could play the real Franco (though I think that story is stupid as hell).

    Yeah, they may have got a brief ratings spike from people tuning in out of morbid curiosity to see how they recast the OLTL actors (kind of like rubbernecking a hideous accident), but after that? How long is it going to take the GH viewers to tune out in droves?

    I can't agree with you more about incorporating that detested "infotainment" show that Brian Frons canceled two shows into the only ABC broadcast show left standing. And he made that his sweeps story?! Good gosh! Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your own face! Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remain perplexed and amazed that the OLTL3 return happened at all. Now that it's happened, however, I'm not surprised that Cartini are being petty about it. ABC is about their bottom line, and if they can get their money's worth out of the contracted actors, I totally understand their stance. Bean counters have no allegiance to the show. They don't have an understanding of the show either.

    This is a terrible situation for GH fans to be in. I recall my bitterness when OLTL--which was still great--was canceled. I was even angrier when I realized some loons saw it as a contest: GH is better than OLTL/AMC and that's why it had "won." During those days, I'll admit to *relishing* THESE upcoming dark times because I knew Ron would shit all over their show. I KNEW IT! He's never the savior people think he is. He's said before that he writes to entertain himself. As a viewer who survived the show-eaters that were Rex, Gigi, Tea, and Ford, I remember what entertained Ron. Now GH fans can enjoy Sabrina and the OLTL3...and Brian Frons isn't around the blame anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. glad to see that so many people hate the nonsense that's become GH.I cant begin to understand what RC/FV hope to gain by the destruction of this once great show,by holding on and doing everything humanly possible to keep 3 actors that really had nothing to do with GH,while showing disdain for the Vets of GH.Kelly Monaco as SAM Morgan,has been on hold for a while now,even though she is a Cassadine/Quartermaine/Morgan, a PI ,mother of a newborn who just lost her husband, and the only story she can get is dependent on who ME plays for the third or fourth time.He's now Silas,yet another twin or lookalike to John McBain,and if his job was to appear cold hearted like Jason Morgan was supposed to be when he first met Sam, then it failed miserably, because even then, there was a softness to Jason/SBu that ME isnt showing.It's also sad that this character,who for years couldnt adopt a child that she and Jason wanted so badly, routinely got guardianship of a Teen Rafe,who just happened to be related to Guess who...ME character,which means, Sam HAS to deal with ME character,who she just happened to bump into while in NY,of all places.This actress,and all the other GH vets, have been basically told they are nothing unless these 3 OLTLers are a part of GH,otherwise,the network wouldnt be working so hard to make them a part of GH.
    I know if I was one of the vets I would be pissed that KA is valued more than I am,I just cant imagine there is no resentment for this blatant disrespect from RC/FV,but at the same time, I can see it from RC, because this is the same fool who though EMMA,a 6 yr old saying WITCH please was cute, and people puking from poison relish as cute,Molly and her screeching and being turned into a conniving hypocrite as cute,Morgan the dont carish gambler as cute,Liz and her triangle as cute,and Maxie/Britt/Sabrina/Felix/MILO etc as cute and SWEEPS worthy.Oh, how can I forget Sonny and Shawn as mobsters who looked so inept it wasnt even funny!
    This show is a mess, and as much as I wanted to see Sam/Danny and Jason as a family if only for a little bit, I am glad SBu LEFT and it's too bad, Kelly is still stuck for now.Hope she takes a hint and RUN as soon as possible,because I dont care how much she tweets about her happiness with the show,it doesnt show on screen,yet we SAW it first hand when ANTON was there,and the 3 ex-Livers were'nt.If the HW not acknowledging that you as an actress was overlooked for an Emmy nod while acknowledging ALL the other actors, and who didnt comment after it was again brought to his attention,then he pretty much shows that he has no respect for your acting ability and that's what RC did to Kelly Monaco when he tweeted his disappointment about KS/MB/LW etc.
    When a HW tells you the fan,that the show isnt for you, then Who is it for?How can this HW still have a job and how can the EP not do something about it?I guess he is right about one thing,because THIS GH that is on screen now IS NOT for me,so I will continue to read recaps or Twitter if I feel like it,but I will not watch this junk anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just thought you would be interested in knowing -- People I know have dubbed Howarth's new character on General Hospital as FRODD. Or, as you might have guessed - as in Fraud. Which goes right along with your suspicion that Howarth is scamming the Idiots In Charge of GH by putting in totally deplorable performances as FRODD, while acing superbly in every syllable on the Internet version of One Life to Live!

    ReplyDelete