Wednesday, August 22, 2012

JFP's Additions to Y&R Bolster OLTL...I Mean GH

Ever since it's been announced that Jill Farren Phelps would be taking over Y&R soon, I've wondered about what would happen there. Y&R has been a trainwreck for months.  You'd think new blood would help....but it won't. This, I'm sure, will seal their fate.  I've predicted they'd be on the downward slide for the next year or so and this will ensure that is true. RIP, Y&R.  I didn't know you long or well but, well, I knew you a bit.  So, I'm not crying about your imminent demise.

Here's my prediction to what will become of the once juggernaut soap, The Young and the Restless.  With this broad behind the wheel, it's all downhill.  Hell, she ruined two out of three ABC soaps. Why not start destroying CBS?  They're on their way out anyway.

I can tell you for a fact that Frank Valentini will do very well due to her new position. He'll be the one who really wins. Not only will he pawn off some useless deadweight from GH but he'll pawn off their fans who he seems to want to shed, as well. Viva La Phelps, then, I say, and take these losers with you!!!

The JFP faithful will surely be offered positions and run to her side. They aren't really wanted on OLTL, I mean GH, and I'm sure Valentini will back up the U-Haul to load them out while they ponder the offer.  No need to answer, just move on. That's how he rolls.

Steve Burton as Adam Newman

Now, I'm not an Adam Newman fan but I do like Michael Muhney quite a but. I think he's talented and interesting and attractive in a part I find very unappealing. Yet his relationship with Chelsea has warmed me to him. At any rate, that's a sure sign of why he'll be recast with a  talentless automaton. There's no way Jilly will resist casting one of her recently unemployed "stars" into one of the best parts on the show.



Just think about it. It's genius. Burton can stare aimlessly at the screen while everyone acts around him. He'll blink when Chelsea tells him she loves him. He can look confused when Sharon rails at him.  And he'll have ever so much chemistry with his new brother, Nick, who stares and blinks a lot, as well. But I'll tell ya, Nick is still a little hotty, IMO. Burton...not so much.

The big question will be- does Burton get to bring the black t-shirt or will he relent to Adam's wardrobe? It does verge more on the order of Todd Manning suits, so the nailbiter might be in that issue. I know I'm on the edge of my seat...only not.

OLTL's big gain...I mean GH....will be Muhney as a recast SNV. Now that's a recast I can get behind.  Just kill off Tea. Works for me!!

Maurice Benard as Victor Newman

Hey, she likes to "young it up" and compared to Braeden,  Benard's an infant.  Besides, as she would say, who wants to watch all those old people?  Benard can still "act young"...if you close your eyes and don't pay attention.  Who needs talent to be the dolt Victor, anyway?  I think Benard has mumbling down to an artform, so he'll be a great recast. We know he likes the whole "boxing" thing and I've seen Vic hit the bag a time or two....and I don't mean Nicki.



Laura Wright as Victoria Newman 

Now, I would have said Nicki Newman as she's as much of a talentless slag with weight issues as the current lady in the role. However, we know that she and Benard won't work together and Jilly does what they want.  So, I could see her as a "mature" Victoria to be sure that there is no real physical interaction between the two.

Victoria has become a drab housefrau in this incarnation who dabbles in business.   I think LW would like to be paired with Billy Abbot as he's young and fun and talented. That has all the earmarks of someone who JFP likes and she'll be sure to attach her sizable ass to his side like a barnacle. She can't seem to affix herself to Howarth, so she'll need a more pliable substance. He's so slippery, she had to chase him around the studio to even get him to take a damn picture with her on Twitter. Oh, Honey, that's pathetic. Move on. It's just a picture. He's not interested. And he didn't look pretty in it. But, I digress.

I briefly thought she might be Phyllis but she's not interesting enough to be nutty Phyllis, who I'm sure JFP will cart off to the loony bin as she's too complicated and La Stafford is too wonderful to last under the new regime. Talent and experience is always rewarded with pink slips.


Kale Browne as Jack Abbot


No reason, just because JFP casts him whenever possible. Why not dump the wonderful Peter Bergman for him? It's in her playbook.  I'm one of the few OLTL fans who didn't mind him or his Sam but he was dull and unspeakable when they recast him with Greg from AMC. That was a bad recast for the character.

But I could see this recast as it's a terrible idea and sure to infuriate anyone with taste who's left watching that show. Bergman and Browne are about the same age, I think. Same....well, nothing else. But it's a massive mistake, so I could see it happening.


John Bolger as Michael Baldwin

See above reference to Kale Browne.  No more needs to be said except that I love Christian LeBlanc, as well, so why not dump him? It's a dumbass thing to do and one that would make her smile.

Tim Gibbs as Nick Newman

This, again, for the above reasons. JFP just likes these guys. I won't say anything else as that could be libelous. But, let your imagination wander. I have no idea what their appeal is in front of the camera so they must be rockin' behind it. Maybe they're great backgammon players for lonely nights in the grotto at Jill's house. 

These are just a few of my predictions on what will happen and I can't be happier to say I hope they all come to pass. Then I won't wince during 75% of OLTL, I mean GH.  Besides, there's no room for the Trio of Terror anymore. There's new people to eat the show. Like Todd and his wife who is on her way. And his surly son who I hope can act this time.  And his whiny daughter and her boyfriend and maybe his cute little nephew. Oh, and his sister. And her homebound lump.

You see, JFP taking the Trio of Terror works to clear the decks of the dregs. They need to go and make way for the fresh faces who are old faces. There's still room for Tracy and Luke and even mean old Johnny, who has become more sympathetic. I say recast Carly with Stafford who is spectacular and make her as crazy as Phyllis. Keep her with Johnny. I might be able to stomach her then. But Carly would need to hook up with the new doctor from Pine Valley.....you got it......

Bring back Dr. Cliff Warner with Bergman and give him the edge he needs. I'm sure Phelps will dump Genie Francis as soon as she can as, well, she's old and gaining weight and, well, I think they hate one another.  But Phelps hates all women except for perky 18 year olds and pudgy, desperate Laura Wright. So, bring back Laura for Luke for a moment and let her deal with whatever she dealt with. I'm not interested.  Just give me some Scotty and I'm fine.

JFP will decimate that show like she decimated GH and tried to decimate OLTL. But she couldn't there as I think Slezak kicked her ass. Granted I have nothing to lead me to believe that but I want to, so I do. I believe Slezak can do anything as, well, she's Slezak. And there's no more that needs to be said.

What I will say is anything she feels she can do "improve" Y&R will surely kill it and leave some great talent for Valentini.  There's plenty from his own show and AMC but why not add some?  I'm sure she'll dump Darnell and Debbie as they are not only old but people of color. And are spectacular actors with substance. There's no need for them there.  Besides, their characters suck.  That we can all agree on.  I'm sure Angie and Jesse could come to Port Charles and straighten out some of this crap!!! They have a police force and a hospital after all.

So, Viva La Phelps and good luck at Y&R!! I won't be watching and you don't mind. Just take your talentless lumps with you. And let the Chubby Fangurl in Leopard Print,  the Bloated Cyborg, and  the Stubby Mobster work their magic over there. The Trio of Terror are done on ABC. They've had their day. Let CBS have them.  It's their turn to see the "magic" of nothingness work the ratings.

But hands off Tracy. She's ours!!


No comments:

Post a Comment